The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
The Harder They Come .... - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: The Harder They Come .... (/showthread.php?tid=103007)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: The Harder They Come .... - Negril75 - 11-20-2021

Firemon, Thanks for the big up on the photos. Plenty more to share. Budget Travel was Negril back in the 70's. There were only a few "Hotels" in area of Negril proper otherwise every accommodation was considered Budget Travel. It used to be a very inexpensive holiday. The exchange rate my first trip was 1 USD = .80 cents JA. A Red Stripe cost .50 JA, a meal in a restaurant was like $3.50 JA for roast chicken or a fish dinner. It was unbelievable. The local residents weren't greedy hosts whatsoever. Crime consisted of stolen cameras or wallets left on a towel on the beach. There was no fear of walking on the beach at night or the West End Road. Hospitality was a new deal for the Jamaicans and they welcomed their guests. Some bad Shi* did occasionally happen. I remember an American woman getting raped in a cottage on Negril Beach and the Jamaicans were very angry at their countryman for his crime and did everything they could to apprehend him and send him to prison. So it wasn't perfect and I seem to remember hearing a story of some American tourist guy who flashed around a lot of cash who was murdered somewhere in the bush for it but over the course of 25 or 30 visits crime was almost non existent. It was for me my go to destination!!

RE: The Harder They Come .... - TAH - 11-20-2021

Blue Cave was one of our "spots" in Negril for about a decade. I love that place deeply, and I'm sad that it isn't in operation anymore. We stayed in just about every room there, but the lower tower was our go to. Every few trips we would "splurge" on the penthouse, which is fantastic in every way (except all of the steps up). Petrona always cut me a very good deal on it, sometimes regular room price if they weren't busy. I'll always miss that place. Loved waking up, climbing down for our morning coffee and then sitting out on the tower or penthouse ledge staring at the sea while we drank our coffee and rolled up spliffs for the day. 

But we've found some other gems on other islands, though Jamaica will always hold a special place. 

Soon come. 

RE: The Harder They Come .... - Negril75 - 11-20-2021

[attachment=2991][attachment=2990]

RE: The Harder They Come .... - TAH - 11-20-2021

Awesome pics. Those are the type of deserted beaches we seek out these days. Jamaica still has some nice, deserted beaches, but those areas aren't always safest for your average tourist today, unfortunately. In my opinion, anyway. 

RE: The Harder They Come .... - oldtimer - 11-21-2021

The bad part of no safety on the isolated beaches is that it reaches to all the nice little places on the island . One of my sisters came to Ochi on a cruise . A bus tour took them to Dunn's River and they got robbed at the falls .The bus driver took them all to a bank and then back to the cruse ship but he parked outside the compound and they got robbed again .Same driver , same trick !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't trust very many people there but I enjoy the weather . I have never had a problem at Treehouse so that is why I stay there and I have known Gail for 40 years and she runs a very safe resort . Same workers year after year .

RE: The Harder They Come .... - Negril75 - 11-21-2021

OT2,
I've never stayed at Treehouse although walked by many times and I don't know Gail either but she has a woman somewhere that has accused her of some pretty crazy things which I have no way of knowing whether or not there is any merit to. The internet is a pretty wild wild west place at times and it's easy to take shots at people for whatever reasons. Again I'm not saying anything other than there are some pretty crazy accusations.

RE: The Harder They Come .... - TAH - 11-21-2021

I know what you're referring to, N75. Not sure how much credence to put into that though, that lady seems pretty out there. But she does drop a lot of details... who knows. Jamaica is still a pretty "wild west" type of place, overall. 

RE: The Harder They Come .... - Negril75 - 11-21-2021

TAH,
You know that I would never spread false rumors about anybody as those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones but the story that the woman puts forth requires examination and details much of the Jamaican vs Jamaican that has spawned into the rampant voilence that exists on the ground in Jamaica today. Recent bloodshed in Sav resulting in numerous fatalities proves the point. So those interested in knowing the history of Negril can put the pieces of the puzzle together any way they want. Bottom line is guns kill people!!

RE: The Harder They Come .... - TAH - 11-21-2021

Oh for sure. Your character is rock solid man. I just tend to be a little skeptical by nature. I remember reading about it 5-10 years ago, and yeah a LOT of details were given, going into background and lots of community stuff. But three sides to every story, and all that. Interesting little porthole into some local strife.