The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 5195 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.17 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5195 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_session.php 505 my_strlen
/inc/class_session.php 360 session->create_session
/inc/class_session.php 76 session->load_guest
/global.php 54 session->init
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.17 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.17 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 4682 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.17 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 4682 errorHandler->error
/global.php 824 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.17 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.17 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.17 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.17 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Negril Beach Erosion Project - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Negril Beach Erosion Project (/showthread.php?tid=100227)

Negril Beach Erosion Project - JonTom - 04-22-2014

I hadn't heard anything on this for some time. Anyone know if this is related to the Sandals-sponsored study from a few years ago? Or anything else about this?

The letter to The Observer is signed "Pierre Diaz", which sounds vaguely familiar. Anyone know who that is?"

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/ONLINE-READERS-COMMENT--Efforts-to-contain-Negril-beach-erosion-questionable

RE: Negril Beach Erosion Project - Blues Pirate - 04-22-2014

Interesting. I ran a google check on Pierre Diaz and according to several results for Pinterest he is a very successful Jamaican photographer. I have not heard anything about far offshore breakwater structures being built. I recall Sandals thinking of doing some kind of structure specifically for that resort but this article is about something more extensive.

RE: Negril Beach Erosion Project - captaind on Zion Hill - 04-22-2014

Who are "we" in his letter? Or id it the Royal we?

RE: Negril Beach Erosion Project - UPDATE May 1 - JonTom - 05-01-2014

This article provides a bit more information, but I still can't find any source detailing the plan.
The article mentions an ad yesterday with pictures of Negril beach - but I can't find that either.

Perhaps the "We" in the 1st article was not royal, but, in addition to Pierre Diaz includes some hoteliers (Charlenna Inn, Couples, etc.)

"Negril Hoteliers Against Breakwater Plan"
http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20140501/news/news1.html

I do share the concern of some of the article commenters that the lack of response/info from the gov't agencies does fule speculation that they will just "run wid it" to pump $ into some contractors pockets, consequences be damned.

RE: Negril Beach Erosion Project - JonTom - 05-01-2014

I'm not sure how much a "submitted budget" translates into reality, and there is not much more information, but I did find this in the 2013-2014 budget posted by the Gleaner that does show a bit on the Negril Beach (and breakwater) plan:
  • Reduce the rate of beach erosion in Long Bay, Negril;
  • Install wave breakwater structures in the vicinity of Long Bay;
  • Restore impacted sea-grass beds;
  • Develop guidelines/technical standards for beach restoration and shoreline protection
  • Develop adaptation plans for the most vulnerable areas along the Negril Coastline; and
  • Develop a climate risk atlas for use in development planning process

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/pages/budget2013-2014/pdf/ministry-of-water-land-environment-climate-change/files/assets/basic-html/page60.html

RE: Negril Beach Erosion Project - JonTom - 05-01-2014

I missed this article when it came out ~6 weeks ago (Mar 22) :
"Negril Beach Rejuvenation"
http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20140322/western/western1.html

RE: Negril Beach Erosion Project - rastagirl777 - 05-02-2014

There are petitions all over Facebook - I encourage those concerned to sign it.

This is a bass-akwards way of dealing with "perceived" erosion.  Growing up on the beaches of Long Island NY, living on the Northern California coast I am pretty certain the model to follow when trying to retain beach is found right here in California....its about planting and preserving the dunes.

Since there are no dunes in Negril - I think the only safe way to retain the beach is to plant native plants where ever possible.  Who remembers a beach in Negril where instead of Palapas there were trees to shade you from the sun?  That's right - my first experiences with the beaches in Negril were that they might not have been all that wide but there was plenty of bush on which to hang your things, throw your towel down and chill.

As always, the reef needs to be protected and repaired as much as possible.  The current ban on jet skis has to be having a positive affect...limitation of those things and motorized boats in general will help.  As will the patrol and control of poachers, the amount of traffic allowed on the reef (i.e., not seeing 4 huge boats carrying 200 people poking around "accidentally" stepping on the shallow reef).

No one likes swimming in seagrass.  Tough.  Seagrass, in the sea, holds the sand.  No seagrass, sand is washed away.  Simple environmental science.  Sure you want your guests to have a nice swimming experience so fine, take SOME out but not all.  You know that "smell" out by the RIUs?  No seagrass = SMELL of dying organisms.

Finally - you can't turn back the clock on development but Negril has dug its own grave regarding beach erosion by allowing SO MUCH development SO CLOSE to shore and the subsequent destruction of the bush in favor of hotel and restaurant buildings.  There can be no other choice than to put a moratorium on all development on the beaches.  Aside from the obvious destruction of the eco-system, the more humans you put out there, the more damage the humans do to the shore, the reef and the water itself.  So...by building a condo/townhouse development on Little Bloody Bay they have effectively begun the sure destruction of that bay.  By rebuilding and reopening the old Beaches Sandy Bay - more people, more destruction.  Here's an idea - spend the money on tearing down the old T-Water and plant native plants in its place.  Takes care of an eyesore as well as a criminal element while preserving the beach.

But who am I?  Just a visitor.  All I can do is put my name to a petition and hope for the best.  If this plan goes forward it will change the beach in Negril forever, and not for the better.

RE: Negril Beach Erosion Project - JonTom - 05-03-2014

(05-02-2014, 11:42 AM)'rastagirl777' Wrote:  There are petitions all over Facebook - I encourage those concerned to sign it.

Thanks RG.
I didn't search extensively, but the first few FB pages I saw mentioning Negril & Breakwater pointed to this (or the Gleaner article):

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition/Minister_of_Land_Water_Environment_and_Climate_Change_Robert_Pickersgill_Stop_th​e_Breakwater_Project_for_Negril/

If there is a more effective/alternative petition, plz let me know.