The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 5195 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5195 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_session.php 505 my_strlen
/inc/class_session.php 360 session->create_session
/inc/class_session.php 76 session->load_guest
/global.php 54 session->init
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 4682 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 4682 errorHandler->error
/global.php 824 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Breakwater project -- not good for Negril - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Breakwater project -- not good for Negril (/showthread.php?tid=100295)

Breakwater project -- not good for Negril - Pineapple - 06-04-2014

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/environment/The-changing-face-of-Negril_16797226

RE: Breakwater project -- not good for Negril - JonTom - 06-05-2014

Thx for the link pineapple. I've been trying to follow this story but missed this article.
A few weeks ago I read an article rebutting the claims/worries made by the Negril Hoteliers. Who wrote it? - the 'consultant' that got paid by the governement to make the breakwater recommendation (and probably would be paid to help implement it).

Also - love seeing old photos of Negril (20k leagues under the sea, etc.) - Love this article's aerial of Negril circ 1956. Don't think I've seen that before.

RE: Breakwater project -- not good for Negril - Oldtimer2 - 06-06-2014

Not good !!!

RE: Breakwater project -- not good for Negril - kylake - 06-06-2014

Thanks Pineapple for posting. I honestly don't have enough knowledge to know what effects the breakwater would have positive and or negative.
I did read this:
"Losing 30 per cent is a best-case scenario. I think we'll be at about half," said Ariel Absera whose family owns property in Negril. "We're already losing bookings and they haven't lifted a boulder yet."
 And went on to add: "That job loss, they added, will mean an increase in crime in the small town"

I wonder if the drop in bookings is not really related to the "expected" breakwater project and more related to the "current" breakins (crime) that has been steadily increasing over the last few years.

RE: Breakwater project -- not good for Negril - Coconut - 06-06-2014

@kylake: I thought the exact same thing!! I think it is mighty suspicious to blame the new breakwater project, which has not been claimed as definite, as the reason for a decrease in bookings. I also know that people are booking more last minute than in the past because properties discount and people are saving pennies.

You know what else caught me in that story? Is the lack of planning authority. People willy nilly doing as they please to increase room availability.

Frankly, I do think that one should never EVER mess with mother nature and how she operates. That is always a recipe for disaster. Her abilities in a hurricane are mind blowing. Putting giant boulders in the water... seems dangerous. I know nothing, though! Just a board reader and commenter... Big Grin

UPDATE - RE: Breakwater project -- not good for Negril - JonTom - 06-27-2014

An update on Negril Beach (possible) project in a letter to the Gleaner.

I do wish the letter writer had explained more of what was presented by the Van Oord rep., ("a world-leading dredging contractor that offers innovative solutions to marine challenges").
It says ~60 persons attended the briefing in Negril. Any chance a boardie attended?

"Do We Want To Hear Negril Beach Options?"
http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20140627/letters/letters4.html

RE: Breakwater project -- not good for Negril - rastagirl777 - 06-27-2014

This whole thing is just so depressing.

July 9 update RE: Breakwater project -- not good for Negril - JonTom - 07-09-2014

Letter from Sophie Grizzle of Charela Inn Hotel in today's paper.

"No Headway In Negril Dispute"
http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20140709/letters/letters2.html

Note: "The next step will be the public consultation meeting, which has been rescheduled for July 29 at 3:30 p.m. at the Negril Community Centre"

The letter states "The three persons from Negril on the PIOJ Steering Committee have never held any meetings or discussions with the community". Does anyone know who those 3 are? (I hope that is not an inappropriate question).

RE: Breakwater project -- not good for Negril - Westenders - 07-10-2014

Is anyone there at the same time that could attend and feedback?