The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Tamarindo, Costa Rica? - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Tamarindo, Costa Rica? (/showthread.php?tid=100324)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Tamarindo, Costa Rica? - murph - 06-16-2014

Pretty pumped... for my buddy's bachelor party we booked 8 nights at this place in Tamarindo Costa Rica. Never been there. Anyone have any insights on must see/must do activities?

$359 R/T out of Boston... YEEHAW n GIDDYUP

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/2577323?checkin=03%2F25%2F2015&checkout=03%2F31%2F2015&guests=14&s=PcvQ

thanks guys!!!

RE: Tamarindo, Costa Rica? - Kandm - 06-16-2014

Wow that looks fantastic! I have never been to Costa Rica either but it is high on my bucket list -hoping to hear about your trip upon your return. 

RE: Tamarindo, Costa Rica? - kylake - 06-16-2014

Murph, looks like a great place to vacation. I haven't been to CR but have almost planned a trip a few times. Let us know how you like it after you return. I do know that area is known for surfing so there must be some pretty good wave action.

RE: Tamarindo, Costa Rica? - booger - 06-16-2014

Hey Murph,
Looks like a great place for a bacholer party. Can't wait to hear your take on Costa Rica. 

RE: Tamarindo, Costa Rica? - Schuttzie - 06-17-2014

Wow, really gorgeous views!  I haven't been either but hubby and I have talked about it.  I can't wait to hear all about it after you return.  Have a fantastic time!

RE: Tamarindo, Costa Rica? - rootswoman - 06-17-2014

Costa Rica is definitly on my list
Dread has been there and loved it.

I hope you take lots of pictures Murph and coe back and tell us all about it
I know some boardies have been there 

RE: Tamarindo, Costa Rica? - booger - 06-17-2014

Murph,
I blew a better part of yesterday and last night reading up on Costa Rica, and it is ALL your fault.

Santa Teresa looks like a great spot. Looking to book early next year for 10 days. 

THANKS

RE: Tamarindo, Costa Rica? - macyoder - 07-10-2014

We are planning Costa Rica for February 2015. I can get a direct flight on Delta, which is a hugh plus. I usually don't do tours but on this trip we are doing Caravan Tours for $1200 per person for 9 days. This includes transportation, room, 3 meals, and guided tours.

RE: Tamarindo, Costa Rica? - murph - 03-11-2015

So I just got back safely from Costa Rica! By safely I mean- I almost but didn't go to jail... and I almost but didn't go to the hospital! So all is good- lessons learned. 

My take on CR is like anywhere else in the world- you have to find the beauty in the land and in the people. It isn't going to slap you in the face sitting in a beach chair. 

Setting was 22 guys for my buddy's bachelor party in Tamarindo. Tamarindo is a touristy town that should only be visited by those who are in their 20's (or maybe by those who still think they're in their 20's) so we fit into the latter. hahaha

The town is known for their surfing and that we did! First day ever on a surfboard I took a lesson ($10 rental for day/ $25 for lesson) and did quite well. Next day, everyone said 9am- that's when the big waves come (were talking 10 foot swells here). So we ventured out early and hit it hard all day- it really takes it out of you all the work you need to put in- but so worth it. What was going to be last run of the day- turned into a blood bath though! Another surfer cut over and hit me real good while I was getting tumbled by a huge wave. The board hitting my head, I was more worried about that so I headed to shore- that's when I looked down and my foot was like a volcano spewing blood. So second day to CR, no idea where a clinic or even a store was to get a bandage... I looked up. Amazingly, there was a life guard station about 100 meters away- it was truly god sent. They patched me up as good as they could have from a beach chair and my surfing took a halt. (Body boarding only from this guy here on out; on this trip anyway). 

I spent time comparing CR to my love-Jamaica. If I cut my foot that bad on the beach in Jamrock... where would I go, who would be there to help... still not sure of the answer to that one. In CR they were prepared to help and awaited it. 

Tamarindo grew on me quickly like a rash from using poison ivy as towellets. I knew I had to organize some excursions fast! The days that followed were bliss. We got out of that tourist trap and got into the jungle. This is where the people and the shops and the food spoke to my soul. Actually people dont speak english at all really- so this was quite refreshing. In a sense like in Jamrock- how you study what people say to you and try to assemble some sort of meaning. It gave me a chance to use my Spanish I & II from a LONG time ago, so that was nice. Donde esta bano senorita? hahaha

The next couple days we went to other smaller communities on the coast and I fell in love- with the landscape, the people, the culture and the food. Fish served out of shacks with no sign that A they were open or B that they were a restaurant- this is my style! Playa Conchal, Playa Brasilito, Playa flamingo, Playa avenellas- all were amazing and SO worth a visit. These were the real CR spots that I wanted to see. These were amazing places and I would certainly go back to.

Scorecard is as follows:

Beaches= Jamrock
surfing=CR
food= tie; just different in their tastiness
culture= Jamrock
live music= Jamrock
prices of food, etc.= tie
ease of travelling=CR; roads were pleasant to drive on- nobody is risking their life to pass out the vehicle in front of them going into a turn
safety= CR; I never felt unsafe ever in CR. Jamrock... eh, there's been some times when I was like 'okay, its time to walk a lil faster'
Flight costs= CR; round trip from Boston was $358 compared to $750 my usual Jamaica flight expense
beach vendors= Jamrock wins! I love the beach vendor experience; CR doesn't have it down yet- they try, but have a lot to learn

If anyone has any questions let me know. But if you havent given CR a try yet- Id say go for it. Just rent a car and hit all of the beach communities you can heading down the coast!

RE: Tamarindo, Costa Rica? - TAH - 03-11-2015

Excellent report. So what was the "almost but didn't go to jail" part?