The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
"Traveling in the Third World" - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: "Traveling in the Third World" (/showthread.php?tid=100360)

"Traveling in the Third World" - rastagirl777 - 06-28-2014

Just bumped into this on Facebook - a gem! The first part is a bit "wordy" but the 8 "rules" or "points" at the end...clever - and true! Thoughts?
http://waitbutwhy.com/2014/04/traveling-third-world-great-also-sucks.html

RE: "Traveling in the Third World" - booger - 06-28-2014

Good points in most cases. Having a basic understanding of customs goes a long way too.

I read this thread yesterday as I am looking at a few days in Tulum this year and some of these comments make me scratch my head and understand how some travelers just do not get it. Reminds me of ugly Americans comments you hear on occasion.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150813-i155-k7569959-Any_other_Place_like_Tulum-Tulum_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

RE: "Traveling in the Third World" - Westenders - 06-28-2014

Enjoyed the article, point 6 and 8 made me chuckle.

I find it always a good start to research before travelling to a new place and being open minded about life in the country I'm visiting. I try not to apply my own British values to others life experiences, and always remember just how lucky I am compared to some others. But I don't feel guilty so much either, I work bloody hard, have had my own personal curve balls in life, and I believe that I am a good person who helps other wherever I can everyday.

My husband goes mad when he hears me say we are going on holiday to JA , he says we are visiting home not on holiday. So I guess we fall in the traveller category lol.

In terms of the Tulum article, what can you say to that. I feel that Jamaica is a better place when people like that go somewhere else.

RE: "Traveling in the Third World" - rastagirl777 - 06-29-2014

Booger, thanks for posting that fascinating thread, lol! I've always fallen into the "traveler" category, from a young age. I've known that but was glad to read it in this kinda tongue in cheek entertaining article that was shared by my friend's 25 year old daughter who is right now traveling solo in Southern Europe and Northern Africa (and will be for the next 4 months - ah youth!!!!)

I don't know if its because my mother is European or because at a tender age I took to the road with fellow misfits to follow a band of misfits all over the country but my yearning to "immerse" is almost insatiable where ever I go. But...different strokes. I never really "paid attention" to the way others chose to vacation until I started reading Trip Advisor. Different strokes - developing countries like Jamaica and Mexico are havens for the beach crowd - those desiring a simple tropical vacation to get a suntan chill on the beach, swim in glorious water...oh yum. I crave that sometimes too! What I've found great about returning to Jamaica as often as I do is that need to go deeper, explore, eat everything (well...ALMOST everything) and get to know the country the way you get to know a friend, develop a "relationship" so to speak. The result - 30 years, at least as many "trips" and no trouble, just wonderful people and adventures.

This summer I will be doing something I've never done and thought I'd never do - I'm going on a cruise. The HoHo nature of jumping on and off a boat and just "touching" many places in Northern Europe will be so new to me but like everything else me and my immersive European mom are looking forward to it. It is probably the most different type of vacation/travel I've ever done...bring it!

RE: "Traveling in the Third World" - Schuttzie - 06-29-2014

Takes all kinds of people in the world. We've always tried to research the areas we go to and want to learn as much about the people and culture as possible. Some people just are not friendly travelers and have expectations that most likely will not be met.

I have to agree with the points in the article, too. We would be considered travelers Smile

RE: "Traveling in the Third World" - macyoder - 07-10-2014

Whenever I read about people traveling to experience 'culture' it makes me smile. No, no, people and culture are low on the list of why I travel. Other than hi, what do you say to people when you are on vacation with what seems to be all the time in the world and they are in a rush to get on with thier life and business. As for culture, I always think of it as love. It takes time to figure out and truly experience. Its not going to happen in a few weeks to learn enough not to offend anyone but I wouldn't consider that experiencing culture.

RE: "Traveling in the Third World" - Schuttzie - 07-10-2014

I agree, Macy that it certainly takes time to truly experience a culture and that is why you need to spend more time there or long periods of time. Too many think just visiting from a cruise ship told them all about the country, lol.

RE: "Traveling in the Third World" - MoFromMonroe - 07-10-2014

Macy where you been????? Haven't seen you here in awhile. Any trips lately. Always love your trip reports.

RE: "Traveling in the Third World" - macyoder - 07-10-2014

I was over on Facebook trying to convince my fellow countrymen that homosexuality is not the only sin in the Bible. This year we did the Eastern Caribbean cruise and loved St. Thomas. I visited the 9/11 fountains and next planned is Costa Rica.

My recommendation traveling to a third world country is to master the art of cock and pee and drip dry. Forget your germophobic ways and trust your body's ability to fight germs. It has been said that dirt kills no one unless it falls on top of them, then you are literally buried it in. I loved being a tourists, its the fun part of traveling.

"2) The People. Getting to know the modern culture and the mindset of the people; developing a better understanding of what it’s like to live there by asking questions, visiting residential areas, and socializing with locals."

Unless you like to stop your life and explain to tourists like me visiting your areas about your life, please don't bother with them. Why do want a better understanding what it's like to be poor, hungry without no food coming, and sick without any medicine. You don't need a trip to a third world country for this, its in your own backyard but might look different. Please if anyone has figured out the mindset of Jamaicans please email me at yuhguud@Help_Our_People_Evolve.com (HOPE)