The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Don't Cause Panic Over Chikungunya - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Don't Cause Panic Over Chikungunya (/showthread.php?tid=100565)

Pages: 1 2

Don't Cause Panic Over Chikungunya - JonTom - 09-11-2014

"Meanwhile, the Health Minister says care needs to be taken to ensure that the situation is not made to seem worse than it is as it could affect Jamaica’s tourism earnings."

Yeah. pretty much figure that is going on here.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/latest/article.php?id=55358

RE: Don't Cause Panic Over Chikungunya - kylake - 09-29-2014

JonTom, I just saw this today in a news feed. I like the comment, "doing all it can to swat down the virus" So I guess they are dispensing a lot of swatters:-)

http://news.yahoo.com/mosquito-borne-virus-disrupting-life-jamaica-015301615.html

RE: Don't Cause Panic Over Chikungunya - Likkle Red - 09-29-2014

Best to Inform the tourists so if they start showing symptoms they can get medical attention. Makes no sense to bury their heads in the sand!

RE: Don't Cause Panic Over Chikungunya - captaind on Zion Hill - 09-29-2014

I got a great deal on Cutters for 25.00 a case of 12 bottles. I'm sending 3 cases down with Ailsa next week to give out in Spring Garden

Also large bottles of Vitamin C and Acetaminophen. There's no real treatment for Chick - V other than to treat the symptoms.

Cap

RE: Don't Cause Panic Over Chikungunya - JonTom - 10-08-2014

Just returned. Used DEET heavily day and night.

Chick-V (and Ebola) was in the newspaper pretty much every day. mostly b/c the PNP/JLP using it (or trying to) for political points, but also some educational efforts on mosquito breeding prevention.

Asked a few persons what they do about mosquito in their area.
Some said they make sure to remove standing water. Others said you'll only see such things in Kingston area.
Others looked at me like I was crazy. "My yard??? no, our area is clean, we don't tolerate nastiness".

One article (man on the street interview type thing) was amusing and depressing at same time.
--- don't believe mosquitoes spread it. must be airborne.
--- obeah thing, not mosquito.
--- they say it only is from bite on neck at night but we know they bite everywhere and all day/night (where THAT came from - who knows!!!)
--- how can mosquitoes spread it - it is in so many parish! mosquito takes cab and bus to spread it???

and my personal fave:
--- I heard it came from that plane from America that crashed off the coast of Portland.
(as always - the states must be the source of the problem!!)

-------------- side note ---------
did go to Negril beach area some. not one single jet ski. THAT was nice.

RE: Don't Cause Panic Over Chikungunya - Raine - 10-08-2014

cracked up laughing at this comment "how can mosquitoes spread it - it is in so many parish! mosquito takes cab and bus to spread it???" Smile

RE: Don't Cause Panic Over Chikungunya - JonTom - 10-09-2014

An online version of the article.

http://jamericans.net/yellowboard/showthread.php?tid=100565&pid=107161#pid107161

The print version was longer - had the 'downed American plane' theory. I hadn't realized they shorten online versions.

I was reading some of these out loud and asking opinions. On the "mosquito take taxi" part a young lady looked at me and said "it is true. You know how far Kingston is? They can't fly that far".

So I said the theory is like malaria. infected mosquito bites human, human blood is infected. Another mosquito bite human - now that mosquito carries it.
So for example you go to Kingston, there are many Chick-V persons and mosquitoes there. Mosquito bites you - you get Chick-V. You take bus back to here. Mosquito bites you, then bites me - now I have Chick-V.

She nodded her head and mumbled OK (or something) but had that look of deep distrust, suspicion in her eyes.

RE: Don't Cause Panic Over Chikungunya - JonTom - 10-15-2014

Another article on the councilors struggling to get people to believe (and to clean up mosquito breeding sites).

"St Mary residents doubtful mosquitoes cause Chik-V"
http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/regional/St-Mary-residents-doubtful-mosquitoes-cause-Chik-V_17732748

At least in Smile Orange you could blame someone (the farmers) for starting rumors. (from memory - so probably wrong a bit):
Ringo: "What's wrong with orange?"
Busboy: "It rot your balls thar"
Ringo: "Who tells the people dem these stories?"
Joe: "The farmers"

I suppose i shouldn't make light of it. But who does start these rumors and why? just general distrust of authorities?

RE: Don't Cause Panic Over Chikungunya - Westenders - 10-15-2014

Absoloutely not surprised at the rumours and philosophy's of the jamaican community.
This has always been their health approach, old wives tales and cures.

I remember one of my male family members from country, wouldn't swim in the sea at negril because he believed the negril gigolos had HIV and they swam in the sea and you would catch it from the sea water!!

I still think it is very vague what the government is actually doing to promote awareness and prevention as well as measures to reduce the numbers of mosquito s.
Booger posted an article on TA which stated that Portia said the problem has reached epidemic levels and they have accessed 4 million USD funding, but to do what and where?
Is it just me or is their official response non specific.

RE: Don't Cause Panic Over Chikungunya - booger - 10-15-2014

(10-15-2014, 04:23 PM)Westenders Wrote:  Absoloutely not surprised at the rumours and philosophy's of the jamaican community.
This has always been their health approach, old wives tales and cures.

I remember one of my male family members from country, wouldn't swim in the sea at negril because he believed the negril gigolos had HIV and they swam in the sea and you would catch it from the sea water!!

I still think it is very vague what the government is actually doing to promote awareness and prevention as well as measures to reduce the numbers of mosquito s.
Booger posted an article on TA which stated that Portia said the problem has reached epidemic levels and they have accessed 4 million USD funding, but to do what and where?
Is it just me or is their official response non specific.

No specifics as they do not know what the hell they are doing. Trying to keep it on the down low as to protect their tourist interest.