The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 5195 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5195 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_session.php 505 my_strlen
/inc/class_session.php 360 session->create_session
/inc/class_session.php 76 session->load_guest
/global.php 54 session->init
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 4682 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 4682 errorHandler->error
/global.php 824 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Only White Person in the Room - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Only White Person in the Room (/showthread.php?tid=100566)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Only White Person in the Room - Winni - 09-11-2014

Wow! This is a very interesting article.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/11/us/white-minority/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

RE: Only White Person in the Room - Vicky - 09-11-2014

Winni -

This article reminds me when back in the day me and my guy were heading to Kingston from Negril. We changed buses at the bus park in Sav. I was the only white woman getting on the bus and THE DRIVER SAID TO ME ......

"BACK OF THE BUS WHITEY"". I broke out laughing but after I thought about it more and more I TRULY FELT THE STING OF RACISM .

Truly a Huge Learning Experience

RE: Only White Person in the Room - captaind on Zion Hill - 09-11-2014

At my Lodge in Sav La Mar I'm the only white Brother...So what......

RE: Only White Person in the Room - Oldtimer2 - 09-12-2014

Well....my kids were the only white kids going to school in two different places in Jamaica. It was a diaster . It wasn't the stares or the everyday runnings it was the physcial contact that scared them . If the brought homework home most times it was destroyed either before it got home or on the way to school. That's when my son started hitting 1st . That stopped a lot of trouble. Nobody says life is easy.

RE: Only White Person in the Room - Schuttzie - 09-12-2014

Interesting article, thank you for posting this. Shelby Steele has some good books on racism.

RE: Only White Person in the Room - Winni - 09-12-2014

I thought it was an interesting read.

I'm used to being the only white person most places in Jamaica, other than the beach, and that depends where on the beach I am.

I live and work in a society where it is very multicultural and I could count the number of people I don't care for on one hand. It has nothing to do with which culture they are from it is more from not having a good experience with them. Having said that, I tend to forget when in Jamaica, that not everyone likes white people, in fact, some have gone so far as to say they hate them.

I walk around at times thinking everyone loves me as I love them, but I sometimes have a wake up call that can be, well, quite humbling...

RE: Only White Person in the Room - Papa Georgie - 09-12-2014

One evening in Port Antonio, my wife and I (both white) and our Jamaican driver walked
into a bar. It was like those old Western movies where the sheriff or some outlaw
walks through the swinging doors and everyone stops and stares and the piano player stops playing...high tension. But only for about 5 seconds and then...our skin color no
longer mattered...just customers after that.

RE: Only White Person in the Room - Winni - 09-12-2014

Papa G, I suppose at times it could be the fact that someone unknown just walked into the community pub. Shock!

LOL

RE: Only White Person in the Room - Schuttzie - 09-13-2014

We used to go to Port Antonio often and many times didn't see any other caucasians. Especially, when we'd go shopping down in the market for veggies and fruit.

RE: Only White Person in the Room - macyoder - 09-13-2014

I have always wondered about this but it seems everyone was fine with the feeling of being the only white around. I on the other hand still struggle at times being the only black, heck I am talking even at family gatherings. Its not about being accepted but not always wanting to stand out.

My husband thinks I stand out more because I am on the wild and crazy side than for the fact I am the only black. That's for another discussion Prettysmile As a couple we stand out because he looks like a saint and I a soul needs saving. Also I am tall, dark, thin , before wight gain. He is big, white, blue eye blond, before he lost the hair and some of the weight.