The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Only White Person in the Room - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Only White Person in the Room (/showthread.php?tid=100566)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Only White Person in the Room - Winni - 09-19-2014

One evening I was sitting at the lane shop and a couple of girls rode up on a scooter. They were there to play bingo and do some gambling. As one of the them walked up into the shop, she said good evening to me and as she passed she said to someone in patois how white people like that.

Girlfriend who owns the shop, laffed and made the statement, Terri's not white, she's Jamaican...

The locals are the ones who distinguish the different levels of white, tourist etc. I get the sense that Jamaicans distinguish different levels of everything, generally speaking.

RE: Only White Person in the Room - oldtimer - 09-19-2014

Sundowner...I lived in both Bog Walk and Linstead. Bog Walk is where my son learned to hit 1st and then see what happens. I worked in Ewarton .

RE: Only White Person in the Room - Westenders - 09-19-2014

Sundowner that was horrendous and disgusting of those guys to set you up like that.

Suzengrace I couldn't agree more with what you said

And Winni lol, glad your friend put them in their place... It's shameful for them to act like that.

OT I think I share your style of resilience to this crap if I'm met with it.
I remember a couple of years ago I was in Rooftops with my hubby just having a nice easy night( I hate that place but was just on an easy night out) an acquaintance of his, who erm plies his trade in there of the herbal kind, was stood with us for a while, and he was guzzling down my vodka like no tomorrow..
Some woman came to stand and talk with him, and shortly after I poured a drink and offered him some..well this 'lady' started to shout and cuss after me, I couldn't understand her as the music was loud, then my husband cussed her and I gathered that she thought I was trying to chat to her man. Disgusting as she didn't know us at all, I was with my husband and there was nothing inappropriate about my interaction with him.
Well , my dad raised me and my sister to stand up for ourselves from an early age, and I was a little wildcat in my younger days. this guy was pushing this girl back like she wanted to do me something. F*** that, I boxed and ragged her to the point it took my husband and two of his friends to get me away from her, and let me tell you weave rips out in any country.
I'm not proud of myself, but I'm not taking that shit from anyone.
All I can think is that she thought that my husband had come with some tourist woman he had just met and I was after her man. She was just a bully who picked on the wrong tourist.
Needless to say I keep my vodka to myself from then on.

RE: Only White Person in the Room - captaind on Zion Hill - 09-19-2014

The skin color thing is almost non existent in the middle - upper class from my experience.

From 1969 I have been unaware of a color bias in that circle.

RE: Only White Person in the Room - oldtimer - 09-19-2014

Capt...I kind of disagree with what you said about colour. What about Manley and Seaga ????? Manley won lost and won. He turned into Reagan...Everybody needs an upper hand...maybe colour is the upper hand if your not "middle-upper" class. Not judging just sayin'

RE: Only White Person in the Room - captaind on Zion Hill - 09-19-2014

(09-19-2014, 05:36 PM)oldtimer Wrote:  Capt...I kind of disagree with what you said about colour. What about Manley and Seaga ????? Manley won lost and won. He turned into Reagan...Everybody needs an upper hand...maybe colour is the upper hand if your not "middle-upper" class. Not judging just sayin'

True OT. In that society your economic standing and education is all that counts.

Out in the hills more important by your ways than high or low color.

I'd like to think that I'm called Mas David by having earned that name

RE: Only White Person in the Room - macyoder - 09-19-2014

"The skin color thing is almost non existent in the middle - upper class from my experience."

I hope not. I don't care if someone recognize my skin tone (black don't crack) as long as they don't use it to define me. In America color can be a defining thing but middle-upper class are more politically correct. I am almost offemded when one says I don't see color, unless I am standing in the dark and it's a case of truly not seeing me ...haha mi smile then. Color is apart of our identity to see its non existent is say one lacks presence.

RE: Only White Person in the Room - Westenders - 09-20-2014

Macy I totally agree with you.
I think the world would better if we all were proud of our differences, colour , culture, religion everything, and not afraid to recognise that we are all different to each other. I think the problem happens when recognising we are different underpins stereotype, prejudice and discrimination.

To say people don't see colour is not acceptance IMO, it's avoidance.

The black don't crack thing, I've heard that for years over here, usually voiced by black women,but it is always a positive affirming statement referring to the beauty of black skin and it's resistance to signs of ageing.

RE: Only White Person in the Room - captaind on Zion Hill - 09-20-2014

I never intimated that they/we don't see color or cultural differences.

What I said was "In that society your economic standing and education is all that counts."

Norman Washington and Michael Manley as well as Busta and Eddie were of what color?

RE: Only White Person in the Room - oldtimer - 09-20-2014

Hmmm....I would say unpolished brass...hehehe