The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Only White Person in the Room - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Only White Person in the Room (/showthread.php?tid=100566)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Only White Person in the Room - macyoder - 09-20-2014

IMOP, all money and education sometimes do to racism is to help you cover it better.

Yeas ago my family member would meet my hubby and declare in front to us, su yuh married a white man. His family would meet me and smile, before I purposely declare I am the black sheep of the family. At Thanksgiving I would ask my hubby if he still favors dark meat. We were at a family gathering and I finally asked, how comes no one ever mention that your wife is black. He pointed to the line heading in the bathroom and said, hon we are the topic of discussion.

There are times I don't care to be the only black one in the room.

RE: Only White Person in the Room - Allan - 09-21-2014

Hello everyone. I am a Canadian who spent the first 14 years of my life in Jamaica. I have followed this board for quite a while, but haven't felt the need to say anything. Someone like Macy or Ohliz usually says it first, and so well, that I have nothing to add. I would like to say that it is refreshing to see a board where people can discuss emotional topics without hissy fits and name calling (for the most part). I believe being aware of race does not make someone a racist. It is how that awareness is expressed that makes all the difference to me. Like 'You Jamaican piece of ....'
Being the only one in the room is not necessarily problematic for me. At a KKK convention in Mississippi? Yes, absolutely. Macy, in the words of Fred Sanford of the Sandford and Son TV show, 'Let them look, but don't let them touch.' There is definitely a lot of unnecessary strife in this world of ours, and while we cannot ignore it, I feel we need to find ways to support positive change. I think that is how I can get out of bed in the morning. I never thought I would live to see a black president in the US, but there he is. Just an awesome example of how things can change when all the so called experts have said it was impossible. I believe I need to live in hope that better will come, and I can't change the world over night, but I can make a small, positive change that will ripple out. I am also hopeful when I read the positive, progressive statements made on this board. Cheers!

RE: Only White Person in the Room - oldtimer - 09-21-2014

Welcome Allen !!!! We do have "hissy fits " but then we hug ....hehehe

RE: Only White Person in the Room - Allan - 09-21-2014

Thanks OT

RE: Only White Person in the Room - rootswoman - 09-21-2014

Welcome aboard Allan!

I appreciate your thoughtful post and hearing your point of view. Please don't be a stranger.

Macy - lol - you are a very funny woman! ha ha ha

RE: Only White Person in the Room - dreadneck - 09-21-2014

It's cool that some of you who would otherwise not have this sort of existence have been able to experience a bit of what it's like to stand out in a crowd solely based on the color of your skin. "Standing out" isn't necessarily a bad thing, or a problem, but one's feelings of acceptance, comfort, safety, isolation and loneliness are affected for better or worse by interactions with the larger society.

For me, this sort of experience has been intertwined with daily life ever since I first ventured out of the inner-city, and has continued throughout most of my working life. Overall there have been lots of ups and downs. Today this experience varies a lot day-to-day depending on where I go, and the general vibe is like being a "curiosity" in most settings. In that respect, there are similarities with the feeling of walking down the street in a foreign country.

RE: Only White Person in the Room - Winni - 09-22-2014

(09-19-2014, 03:53 PM)Westenders Wrote:  Well , my dad raised me and my sister to stand up for ourselves from an early age, and I was a little wildcat in my younger days. this guy was pushing this girl back like she wanted to do me something. F*** that, I boxed and ragged her to the point it took my husband and two of his friends to get me away from her, and let me tell you weave rips out in any country.

LOOL @ Westie! I now see you in a completely different light and I must say I like it!

I myself have used the term' don't see color' and I never thought of it in a negative way. It didn't occur to me that others might see it that way though.... I think it depends on the context. When I used it, I meant that I didn't care what color a person was, black or white or other, I like people in general and find other cultures very interesting.

In terms of the middle class in Jamaica, I'm not sure that there is no racism or predjudice... maybe it is just unacceptable to admit that you might be.

RE: Only White Person in the Room - captaind on Zion Hill - 09-22-2014

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

RE: Only White Person in the Room - Winni - 09-22-2014

Exactly!Yes

RE: Only White Person in the Room - rootswoman - 09-22-2014

Winni, this is not directed at you . I am sure I have said the same thing many times. However, your post did reminded me of this .
I wrote this a few weeks ago and posted it on facebook. It seems appropriate to share it here, now.

“I Don’t See Color”
I hear this often and I think people mean well, but they don’t realize how privileged this expression really is..
If you are black, you don’t have the luxury of forgetting your color. You are reminded every time you leave the house. You can never know what people are really thinking.
We have too many recent episodes of blatant racism to ignore that it exists.
Trayvon Martin, Donald Sterling, and Michael Brown are some of the publicized examples (thanks to technology).
The “in you face” disrespect many show towards Barack Obama is extremely appalling. Political views aside – he is our President. If he can’t get respect how on earth can our black youths have hope for their future?
Please think deeper than “not seeing color” think about what it actually means to be “colored.” Think about how black people must adjust their behavior to “fit in.”
Learn to talk “right.” Learn to dress “right.”
Don’t raise your voice, you might scare people. Don’t be so assertive (it might look aggressive)
Be successful, but “don’t forget your place”
If you are one who “doesn't see color” you are off to a good start – now please take it a bit deeper. We need to make this world a better place for EVERYONE.