The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 5195 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5195 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_session.php 505 my_strlen
/inc/class_session.php 360 session->create_session
/inc/class_session.php 76 session->load_guest
/global.php 54 session->init
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 4682 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 4682 errorHandler->error
/global.php 824 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Negril Beach Vendors - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Negril Beach Vendors (/showthread.php?tid=100576)

Pages: 1 2

Negril Beach Vendors - JonTom - 09-20-2014

article on Negril Beach Vendors.

"They say it's illegal to walk and sell on the beach and I don't know what about it is illegal, because you are not stealing; you are going to meet the tourist in a nice, polite way and explain what you have for sale. ..."

Hehe. yes, nice polite way. never up in your face w/ nastiness. your experiences may differ.

'We Are Tired Of Running'
http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20140920/western/western1.html

RE: Negril Beach Vendors - Likkle Red - 09-20-2014

He forgot the "respect" that is also thrown around by the vendors

RE: Negril Beach Vendors - booger - 09-20-2014

It's illegal to sell on the beach? LOL

You cannot walk 30 seconds without getting hit up.

RE: Negril Beach Vendors - Oldtimer2 - 09-21-2014

There is a BIG !!! difference between a beach vendor and a bum . The intimadation factor is HUGE !!! As soon as an "aloe lady " touch's you then you owe her ,as soon as a bracelet guy touch's you then you owe him for it . I don't think so !!!! I buy lots of stuff as long as I WALK TO THEM !!!!!!! When we stop at Yellowbird each afternoon we always get the beach musicians to play some tunes and tip them very good . They never beg , try to steal , bother you just good hard working guys and ladies GIVING YOU SOMETHING FOR YOUR $'S !!!Take Yellowbird ,Marcia sells out everyday .She is pleasant , honest and has excellent products from cakes to fish . The lady selling towels etc at Yellowbird is hateful . If the security guy is not sharp her children are in purses and beachbags as soon as they hit the sand. Neville the patty guy ,the best you can get !!!! and he has my license plate on his bike.Then there are the kids....that's another story .

RE: Negril Beach Vendors - rootswoman - 09-21-2014

So do some walking vendors have licences - the two patty guys, gem the fruit lady, the original cigareeete guy - to name just a few???

They can lock up some of those fruit, bracelet and aloe guys - there are some real creeps mixed in that bunch that ruin it for the rest.

I hate the fruit guys but the worst Ive seen is the stockie (crack head) who, while foaming at the mouth, virtually attacks people with aloe. He will be carrying a chunk of aloe that was ripped up from the roots, stolen from a neighbor's yard up in Redground. He than will find a naive victim and start slathering them down with aloe as they are trying to get away from him but are too polite to immediately walk away. He will then demand money and if the first request isin't met he will become more demanding and will threaten the victim. They tourist will hand him money to get rid of him. As soon as he gets enough for his fix he will toss the aloe onto the beach and head straight for his connection.

RE: Negril Beach Vendors - Oldtimer2 - 09-21-2014

RW...dead on !!!!

RE: Negril Beach Vendors - jitterbug - 09-21-2014

is that the aloe guy that is really dishelved, one bum arm? has dreads . . . looks older . . . slightly built? . . . if that's him, he's creepy . . .

RE: Negril Beach Vendors - rootswoman - 09-22-2014

Jitters, I was actually talking about a hypothetical aloe guy, as when i was there - there were more than one with this act.

Its been a few years since i have been to negril.

RE: Negril Beach Vendors - goldilocks - 09-24-2014

I enjoy the beach vendors, keeps me sharp. Most of them are OK but I do a couple of things to throw the obnoxious ones off their pitch:
Make eye contact and Greet them first - don't seem intimidated
Tell them straight up whether I'm interested or not and keep moving if not
Name my price for an item and be willing to walk away
Move away if they try to touch me (anything more than a fist bump is a no go for me)
If necessary, break out the patois to let them know in no uncertain terms that I am not the one
In short, I take control of the interaction and it lasts as long or as short as I want it to be.
I have laughed, I've chatted, I've purchased, I have been cussed out, I've cussed back, and I've laughed again!

RE: Negril Beach Vendors - Westenders - 09-24-2014

Ditto goldilocks,

I can cope with the vendors, it's the flipping gigolos that get on my nerves.
Especially during ATI and Dreams, which we usually go to, they come from far and wide.

I try to have a couple hours on the beach as many days as I can, usually while the other half is playing dominoes or chilling with his pals. Just so I feel that I'm having a holiday..
Many times do I get chatted up by them, and even in the past I have told them I'm here with my husband, 'no matter' they say.
Now I just mess with their heads and get a kick out of doing so.
So now if they try talking to me, I just go along with it for a while and then start saying things like "gosh your really nice, I was worried about coming to negril, as I've heard about all these gigolos on the beach, but I don't know why people say that as everyone seems so nice and genuine."They very quickly realise I am just being a smart arse and move on and don't look back. Gives me a little joke.