The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Redground - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Redground (/showthread.php?tid=100744)

Pages: 1 2

Redground - Flintstone - 01-02-2015

Just read about two shootings in red ground on new years day, sorry no links to post. Something about a motorcycle repair shop next to collettes? I've never been to red ground but understand it is up the hill from the round about.

RE: Redground - booger - 01-02-2015

I saw that too.... Redground is where Red Dragon is, famous for their pork. Frankly, it is the only area I have been in or around Negril where I felt a little uncomfortable. I have been looking forward to going back to Red Dragon and will likely do so next trip. 

The murders the last few months makes me wonder. Then again it is Jamaican on Jamaican crime, while sad it appears that travelers do not have much to worry about. Or do they?

RE: Redground - booger - 01-02-2015

Just reread my post and it might appear that the Jamaican on Jamaican crime was brushed off. Please understand that it all kills me.........

RE: Redground - DAWN - 01-03-2015

http://m.jamaicaobserver.com/mobile/latestnews/Cops-hunting-for-killers-of-motorcycle-taxi-operators

RE: Redground - rastagirl777 - 01-03-2015

Sigh.

I know that motorcyle repair shop - its "our" motorcycle repair shop.  Relieved to NOT see it mentioned in the article.

This sounds gang related and something that has nothing to do with tourists.

I never felt uneasy in Redground and I never will.  Its just another neighborhood.  Sadly, in recent years gang activity there and in Negril has spiked as has gun related crimes - which SUCKS.

Happy New Year all - prayers for the victims of this terrible crime.

RE: Redground - Flintstone - 01-03-2015

Something that really concerns me is the time of day this happened 4:30 p.m. This is prime walking around time for many folks. I'm wondering what is the vibe like in the west end right now? Have people stopped going out to bars and restaurants due to safety concerns? Maybe you can comment on this RG? We are booked for the west end in a few weeks so I would like to be prepared. Along with mosquito spray should we bring Kevlar vests/night vision  goggles. Hoping for a peacefull vacation some snorkeling, beer, rum,ect. I realize these are local issues that do not involve tourists but mid afternoon anyone could have been hit by a stray bullet or even a ricochet.

RE: Redground - gerryg123 - 01-03-2015

lot of crime in Redground. More locals than tourists and expats, and just an unsafe area overall.

RE: Redground - rastagirl777 - 01-04-2015

"I'm wondering what is the vibe like in the west end right now? Have people stopped going out to bars and restaurants due to safety concerns? Maybe you can comment on this RG? We are booked for the west end in a few weeks so I would like to be prepared. Along with mosquito spray should we bring Kevlar vests/night vision  goggles. Hoping for a peacefull vacation some snorkeling, beer, rum,ect. I realize these are local issues that do not involve tourists but mid afternoon anyone could have been hit by a stray bullet or even a ricochet."

First of all - you are friggin' hysterical (kevlar vest, love it!)

I am pleased to report that the vibe is, as always, wonderful here on the west end.  Tons of tourists in town, none in Kevlar vests or riding around in Mad Max vehicles.  Plenty walking on West End road all times of day, all with smiles.  Restaurants and bars crowded and festive.

No lie...really.  The people that live here too - all feeling good and secure.  They all know better than to react irrationally to stories on the internet.  So come and enjoy your vacation Flint - I guarantee you will (plus the weather has been SPECtacular).

Gerry, I don't know how much time you've spent in Redground and there might be a **little** truth to your statement.  Redground is a residential area.  A neighborhood really, like mine but a bit more "dense".  I personally used to go up there on occassion to visit friends who lived there and to enjoy a "set up" at Red Dragon.  Expats who arrived in Negril 30-40 years ago bought property there but the area remains primarily Jamaican.  Its also gotten very built up (along with everything else, sigh)over the years with new and shiny housing schemes etc.  I can say that I've ever felt intimidated there.

Now...that said...gang related crime has been an issue in Redground AND the west end of Negril for many years and to varying degrees.  While I do not recognize crime as "on the rise" here what I do recognize is the increase in gun violence here and all over Jamaica.  Redground is no more dangerous than downtown Negril but it all depends on where you "put" yourself.  These two young men were shot at a "hangout" right next door to Collettes (not my guy's place, THANK GOD) where the motorcycle taxis hang out.  So, if you are hanging out with the motorcycle taxi guys and a gunmen comes up and misses, yeah...then you might get caught in the cross-fire.  But...why would you be hanging out there?  See what I'm saying - places and things are only as "dangerous" as the situation one puts themselves in. It would be more likely that a Jamaican child gets caught in the crossfire of gang violence than a tourist would, sadly enough Sad  But...I haven't heard of that happening as these guys seem to be good shots Sad

Back in the day we'd go up to sit at Ragabones and be the only non-Jamaicans in there.  Superman made it a "thing" and now I won't go near the place on Mondays.  These days more tourists like to explore the less traveled path and I would still say that a visit to Red Dragon or Miss Collettes is a nice thing to do to check out the vibe of a "real" Jamaican neighborhood.  I don't consider that "dangerous" but its up to the visitor and how they feel about being in a more local situation.

I guess the point of this is that random violence can happen anywhere.  I mean, shit - Mickey Hill was shot in cold blood by police right on the beach road in the middle of the god damned day...right in a spot that no one would consider "dangerous".  My friend and neighbor Colin was shot down in the middle of the night a mere couple of hundred yards from my gate - and I do not consider my neighborhood dangerous.

But the truth Gerry speaks does apply as gang activity continues and can make the vibe of an area a little scary...and I will give that up - Redground can have an "edge" based on that alone.

I hope I am making sense and am doing my best not to piss anyone off.  But I've been here now 6(?) weeks and truly kids - all is well, all is peaceful and the most aggravating thing to have happened was that the water was off last night (after a day long motorcycle ride - ICK! No shower!).

So Flintstone - stash that Kevlar vest in the attic, pack a pair of board shorts - and come down with no worries other than a constant flow of ice for your cocktail.

RE: Redground - wendy - 01-04-2015

I wouldnt worry about the stray shots, they know who they want and like RG stated, dem good at it. In august there was a burial down the road which of course all hims friends would be at, boom, they got another one from the group from the previous murder, round and round they go til they get em all.

RE: Redground - Flintstone - 01-04-2015

Thanks for the reassurance Rasta girl, I really didn't have room in my luggage for the vest anyway...My trip has been booked since july so no plans to change it. I am glad everyting is irie, we will be sure not to stand by or walk around the bike taxis, we did have plans to sample red dragon, but dean or the guy before cotton grove is pretty good too! Glad to hear the weather is good , we are currently at -27C tonight -31C with a windchill of -43C. So ya I can hardly wait to exit to the tropics for a while. Cheers!