The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Extremely brutal weather, TWC & insomnia - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Extremely brutal weather, TWC & insomnia (/showthread.php?tid=100817)

Extremely brutal weather, TWC & insomnia - Sharleen - 02-12-2015

In the area that I live in we have had some really brutal weather in the past month (or longer) ... a huge amount of snow, sub-zero temperatures.  My driveway is about 1/8 of a mile long so shoveling it out of the question.  I do have a really great "snow plow guy" who only charges me $30 when 15 years ago my next door neighbor charged me $75. 
    I figure that in only eight more weeks I will be relatively "home free" as far as the weather goes. 
     I have a question for everyone as far as your internet, cable, phone.  I switched and got a "bundle package" from Time Warner Cable about five months or so ago.  I was a long time AOL internet service, it just got SO slow I couldn't stand it anymore, so switched.  I'm kind of not too happy with TWC, quite a bit my phone service doesn't work, people who call me can't get through, when they call my phone doesn't ring. 
  And this insomnia business is kind of driving my crazy.  Of course if I could stay up past 9:30  I am sure it wouldn't be a problem I have slept for 5.5 hours and I am now totally awake.  Any of you fellow insomniacs give me some advice!  I get up at 6:50 every day to get to my job on time. 
   Lots of reggae news, Freddie McGregor's mother died, Queen Ifrica's mother died this week or last week.  My Mom (aged 90) is still alive and well, I'm thinking I should spend some time with her this month.  Not sure if the "F" word is allowed, but I am kind of distressed that I am STILL working.  Many (and most) of my friends have retired within the past year -- and here I still am having to leave my house at 8:00 a.m.
    I work at a University so see students patterns of vacations -- it was different "back in the day" -- to me, it seems like Jamaican Tourist Board only promotes the "big" places like Sandals, Rui...  so I see the students going for Mexico, really great deals on airfare/hotels.  FAR more dollars than can be found for JA vacations.
   So the smaller vacation hotels seem to be let out of the picture.  Many years ago I used to be able to get good deals through some outfit in Boston that used to be around forever.  The Airfare/Place to stay deal.  I used to stay at Caribella, Libby & Mark's place and received a great "package deal" through I think this place in Boston called Sunsplash or something. 
    So the Jamaican Tourist Board -- IDIOTS -- they could have SO many more tourists flowing through the smaller hotels in western Jamaica with pre-planned package deals.  I sort of think that they are making these deals out of the option.
    Since I work at a University I see our students vacation plans.  Jamaica is NOT one of the countries that offers a great plan for a one week of vacation... Mexico knows how to do it right and cheaply -- Jamaica can't figure out how to pre-package vacation plans on a budget.  It's all about "Sandals" and all those expensive A/I plans. 
      This sort of SUCKS for all of the long time room rental places in Jamaica.  If they were to be involved in the reduced air fare for room rental plans, things would be quite a bit better.

RE: Extremely brutal weather, TWC & insomnia - oldtimer - 02-12-2015

Yikes ..you have lots of snow !!! Jamaica is not the country for young people . 1st there is not the oppurtunity of laying on the beach or smokin' in the hills like there use to be . That is why you are still working, paying for your "free self " time . The time of never ending volleyball games at Alfred's is long gone , Bloody Bay is long gone and living up in Redground is long gone . Although my son has just been married in Jamaica that crowd had NO !!!! interest in being off the resort except for an afternoon boat rental ,which they all loved . Thank God the jet ski's are gone . What has changed is the attitude of the beach bums that KILL THE VIBE !!!!! Don't believe me just ask some young people !!! They have no more interest in the Rasta's way of life or tours to Lover's Leap than shooting themselves in the foot . They want SUN !!!! and to be left alone !!!! as I do now .
I personally don't care what they do with the bums but get them away from me and by doing so maybe that would make way for the youth to return . Jamaica is not made for young people anymore . BUT !!!! we all had fun at one time !!!

RE: Extremely brutal weather, TWC & insomnia - kylake - 02-12-2015

Right there with you on the still working stuff Sharleen. Most of my friends my age are retired also. Myself just trying to make a little extra so when I retire I can maybe afford to do things in retirement.

As far as "cable bundles" I guess they work for some but my mother in law has a VOIP phone in a package and it sucks as you imply yours does. If landlines are cheap where you live, have that as a backup and for local calls.
Where I live cable is not an option........Hooterville is a nice place to live though.
Take care and stay warm!
I agree with OT the higglers can really be a nuisance and a "Debbie Downer" if you are just trying to chill. In Mexico "gracias no" is all it takes but that doesn't work in Jamaica from my experience.

RE: Extremely brutal weather, TWC & insomnia - Winni - 02-18-2015

(02-18-2015, 06:44 AM)tanvirbajwa1 Wrote:  thanks for your information dear,..................http://learnalanguage.com

LOL I love it when someone joins just to be witty!