The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Protect Your Credit Cards - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Protect Your Credit Cards (/showthread.php?tid=101293)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Protect Your Credit Cards - Firemon - 02-06-2016

I'm SOLD on that suggestion Kylake.  Looks perfect for beach activities.  And I like the size.

Starting to think the Lewis n Clark wallet may not be the exact belt loop model I wind up getting since it's a fairly humongous 8" x 4" to accommodate passports and I don't intend to carry my passport around.  No doubt there are plenty of similar products somewhat smaller once I take the time to look and compare.

Upon further review given CBBox's recommendation I gave the comments a scan and apparently the product listing is very misleading.  It's not waterproof at all.  Prob does a decent job if you play on the beach (wade, jog, Frisbee, futbol, build a sand castle, lie in the sun) but it's not designed to go underwater (ie-swimming, snorkeling).  Bummer.   A wet credit card or driver's license wouldn't matter...but wet cash? 

Here's one of the comments:
On-line product description misleading. It state 'waterproof', yet on receipt product instructions state 'we do not recommend using ...them below the water surface". Since the whole purpose was to use at the beach or in a pool, that being the case, a plastic sandwich bag probably would be as good.

RE: Protect Your Credit Cards - kylake - 02-06-2016

I see mixed results Firemon. I had something similar years ago and it was critical you closed it correctly. If you didn't it would leak, if you closed correctly it would not leak. The mention of the cardboard insert is somewhat troubling but it appears it can be removed carefully by bending. Myself I would probably cut it out with scissors just being careful not to puncture the bag. I ordered one and will let you know.
As far as the wallet I ordered a more traditional model that is a normal size and I usually carry in my front pocket or a side (cargo) pocket with a Velcro closure. Thanks for bring up the topic about wallets with RFID protection. I am way overdue for a new wallet.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019TXX0R8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

RE: Protect Your Credit Cards - rastagirl777 - 02-06-2016

I don't carry credit cards with me on a regular basis in Negril, never have.  I take mine with me only if I know I'm going to use it...and I seldom do.  Many years ago my credit card was compromised there and that put a stop to the credit card thing there for me - I'm mostly cash and carry.

More of a concern these days are the recent hackings of people's ATM cards.  There are several reports of this happening to various people, residents and tourists over the past few weeks.  Based on information shared by those people it seems to be happening at satellite bank machines such as the NCB satellite machine at HiLo and the Scotia machine at Times Square.

You can surely buy what they are selling to "protect" your cards but your best protection is yourself.  Due to mostly "cheapskate" reasons I use the machines at Scotia Bank and nothing has happened to my account.  My advice - unsolicited I know - is to only use machines at or in a bank.  There's an ATM machine in the NCB Bank on the corner of Sunshine plaza and of course there are the Scotia Machines at Scotia Bank.

RE: Protect Your Credit Cards - rootswoman - 02-06-2016

That looks cool Kylake

if it works....

I was thinking of a hard plastic tube thing.  They use to be all over the place but i dont see them anymore (probably because they dont hold cards, you would roll your money up first.  Im realizing it wouldn't hold CC but would be handy for the beach walking.  Now even more handy would be a waterproof thing that would also hold a phone.

The suggestion I liked best regarding removing the cardboard insert without ripping a seam was to wet the cardboard first.

Skimmers are small devices that can scan and store credit card data from the magnetic stripe. Crooks can install skimmers on a gas pump, or corrupt employees can have a skimmer stashed out of sight of customers. Once the card is run through the skimmer, the data is recorded, and the crooks can sell the information through a contact or on the Internet, at which point counterfeit cards are made. The criminals go on a shopping spree with a cloned copy of the credit or debit card, and cardholders are unaware of the fraud until a statement arrives with purchases they did not make.

Read more: http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/credit-card-skimming-scam-1282.php#ixzz3zP5i62mR

Make sure your card stays in sight, and never let anyone leave of your presence with the card if you can help it. "Skimming occurs most at restaurants since the waiter has to walk away with your card," Brewer says. "If you are in a retail store and they say they have to go to another counter to run the card, follow them." If you are concerned about letting go of your card at restaurants, use cash instead.

Quote: Rootswoman wrote: Now even more handy would be a waterproof thing that would also hold a phone.
This is the tip of the iceberg so to speak. There are a bunch of them out there.
http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Cell-Phones-Accessories-Waterproof-Phone-Cases/zgbs/wireless/9375358011

Quote:Rastagirl777 wrote: You can surely buy what they are selling to "protect" your cards but your best protection is yourself.
Agreed but with the new chip (RFID) thefts differ from the skimmer Firemon mentioned. They could be standing behind you in a line and steal using a radio frequency device. The chips are coming to the debit cards also.
I only carry a credit card for a great emergency which I have been lucky enough to have not had. As far as an ATM debit card (what I use for cash) another bit of advise is to setup some small separate bank account like in a credit union and use that card. That way even if a skimmer gets your information and clones a card as described by Firemon there is a more limited amount of funds they would have access to.
I have used the machine at the Hi-Lo in the past but guess I will be bypassing it this time because of the recent skimmer issues on that machine. It was always kind of freaky going into that one anyway. A user could take their time installing a skimmer in that one the way it is setup with blacked out glass

RE: Protect Your Credit Cards - rootswoman - 02-06-2016

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221806223447?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

These are what i was talking about and wondering if they still made them.  I recall back in the day they could hold some cash - a key, a lighter and a spliff .  I just ordered two.