The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
bar owner shot dead in Negril last night - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: bar owner shot dead in Negril last night (/showthread.php?tid=101424)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: bar owner shot dead in Negril last night - jitterbug - 05-25-2016

(05-24-2016, 03:47 PM)rastagirl777 Wrote:  "anyone could have been caught in the crossfire . . . "
The article says he was shot at his home...possibly in a bathroom?  So unclear on who could have been caught in the crossfire.

The situation with gun violence sucks, so bad in Westmoreland and Hannover parishes but statements like this worry visitors that there was a shoot-out on the main street (which, in Negril thankfully has not happened).

rg, there are two stories . . .
you come off really condescending . . . 
i see that nothing changes with you . . .

RE: bar owner shot dead in Negril last night - Flintstone - 05-25-2016

First off this is not good for tourists or locals. The story in the Observer says at 9 pm the businessman was shot at his Bar, a public Bar where anybody can stop in for a drink or whatever, just because its not on One Love Drive does not negate it as a (unsafe) shooting area. RG, just wondering how close to a violent act does one need to be before it concerns you? I have eaten dinner, eg. after 6 pm at Pablo's which i believe is at the start of Lime Tree Lane, we had no issues , But after the shooting near there I would hesitate to return. Lets not forget these thugs are hardly professional gun users, a handgun is not the most accurate, and the bulletts may ricochet in many directions. I assume the next step will be for businessmen to carry firearms and then there may be more bloodshed, and how comfortable will that be  with everyone's hand on a gun. I hope they catch these guys before they do it again.

RE: bar owner shot dead in Negril last night - jitterbug - 05-26-2016

thank you flintstone forconfirming what i read . . .

RE: bar owner shot dead in Negril last night - rastagirl777 - 05-26-2016

My friend was shot dead IN his place of business 100 yards from my gate.  THAT close.  Yeah.  Am I concerned?  You bet your butt.  But I'm not hysterical, I'm a city girl from NY for Christs sake so I alter my "roll" accordingly whether I'm in Negril or Chicago or where ever.  And I hope for the best and pray to the Goddess that this nonsense will STOP once and for all.  It DOES affect my community there in ways it will never affect tourists.  So I do have a very vested interest.  And it does upset me. BUT...like my neighbors there, I am in no way going to get hysterical and scream that the sky is falling which is what I see so much of here and on other forums.

I hate hysteria and hysterical comments that have NO basis in truth, just in flat out fear.  I'm not going to apologize for trying to strike some balance and I'm not going to change my roll of trying to get the hysteria out of an already tragic situation.  I will say this - if you are that afraid to eat at a restaurant on West End Road because it is on the same corner of a lane where a shooting took place (quite a bit up the lane at that) then don't eat there.  If you fear for your life to the point that you'll never leave the hotel or resort that you are staying at - don't go there....or never leave the beach if that's where your comfort zone is.

PS: Does anyone know the name of the guy and which bar he owned?

Where did you see hysterical posters?
Ppl seem to be stating common sense statements.

And for the record, you were not in negril when the owner of out of town pastry got shot.

RE: bar owner shot dead in Negril last night - rastagirl777 - 05-26-2016

As it turns out you are correct, I was not in Negril when my friend was shot, but dayum....ALL MY NEIGHBORS and the people I love sure were!  Heard the gun shots and all of it...one walked by the shop just minutes before.

And that matters....why?????

The point is...even though this heinous violent act happened SO CLOSE to my home there....I never even considered moving to another place, not for a minute.

Flintstone, if you don't feel safe eating at Pablo's anymore because a shooting took place a good deal up the lane from that restaurant ON West End Road - that's your perogative, far be it from anyone to tell you how to feel safe and secure on your vacation.

Jitterbug when you make a single statement based on 1/2 of a story (because there are 2 stories, one has the shooting in a somewhat public place, the other in the bathroom of dude's house) that I find "hysterical".  You and I might know that in reality, no visitor is going to "get caught in the crossfire" - but others who are easily "frightened" (for lack of a better word) will take that statement so to heart that they really might miss out on the bigger picture.

Still...I guess if that statement freaks you out enough to alter your travel plans...maybe its best to just stay away from Negril, right?  I don't know, can only speak for myself.  And in 30 years I know nuff people shot dead in various locations in and around Negril and I keep coming back.

RE: bar owner shot dead in Negril last night - captaind on Zion Hill - 05-26-2016

So glad I live in the hills.

Negril is nice to visit for the beach now and then or go out to early diner. ..... Other than that ....no thanks

Cap

RE: bar owner shot dead in Negril last night - kylake - 05-26-2016

Quote: Jitterbug wrote: Where did you see hysterical posters?

Ppl seem to be stating common sense statements.

Ditto and the only hysterical poster I see in this thread is you RG. Not offense meant but re-read the whole thread and you are the hysterical one but in the opposite direction of tourist safety. You seem to be so worried about a tourist being upset and deterred to visit by shooting anywhere in Negril that you seem to overlook that shootings are truly a problem and will as others have pointed out will eventually, spill over into people just on vacation. As it already has in other parts of Jamaica.

If Rag-a Bones is in Redground I was in Redground and I am a tourist and claim to be nothing more. Really like the place but sad many serious problems occur in that area from reading non hysterical postings, but just the facts (hear and elsewhere).

I do totally agree with you RG that "night time is not the right time" at least in Negril area and even on the main beach. Sad but true.

Rasta girl, stop while you are ahead . . .  You are sounding ridiculous, like usual! 

But I keep forgetting that you know everything about everything.

RE: bar owner shot dead in Negril last night - CardBoardBox - 05-26-2016

February last year, 4 girls shot at one place (market, restaurant, common meeting place? don't recall.) The dead was my friend. Was she a runner for a lottary pickup? Some say. Did she do something wrong or just suspected of same? Unknown.
2nd girl shot. Was there also a reason? One person thought so.
The other two were collateral damage, I would guess, because the gunman (kid) might have been a lousy shot. I don't know. Was it a (the?) head lady of the lottary con who give the order? Don't know.
Do I still go to Negril? Yes. Is it possible I could be in the wrong place while a person with a gun and who shows no regard for human life decides to do something? Damn straight.
9 months later the dead girls father shot by kid on motorcycle. Some think the original killer, or the lottary leader, worried he might do something and thus again proved life is cheap. J$130,000 to bury someone. Did this have to happen? Debatable, isn't it. Sad? Depends on ones perspective. Wife and kids included. Do the police know who this this? One local says yes.

I could add hype that a robbery with violence, even a gun, on an unsuspecting tourist is possible, even it the robbery results in being shot or shot dead while resisting while not producing a large sum or money could happen. So far, no deaths in this situation, but robbers do happen, right?

There is no guarantee "this couldn't happen" any more than the police catching the bad guys is guaranteed.

I address not one post or reply-post or person. Some debate is usually healthy, but sometimes words build walls. And everyone always think they are right.