The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
bar owner shot dead in Negril last night - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: bar owner shot dead in Negril last night (/showthread.php?tid=101424)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: bar owner shot dead in Negril last night - CardBoardBox - 06-04-2016

Upon re-reading MY post above, I have to make an apology because my words did not convey my message  correctly, or should I say completely.

There were 2 stories because there were two separate incidents. Two bodies.

I (also, or still) do not know where the bar is located, but one happened there.

The 2nd incident was at the home of the 2nd person. I thought that his bar was located outside of town, but its loc and his house location did not register or wasn't mentioned. Upon-arriving home would be true, yet one story mentioned in the bathroom.

RG777 wrote "... surprised this" but I shall assume the word was "these."

Like your "One of them" incidents RG, I too lost a friend there and it did not make the press. I know not why. Perhaps too routine? Won't sell papers? Non-documented purpose of the murder?

I do remember back at Heartbeat on the West End in the 90's that the tourist police, or "tourist board" showed up to get the details of a robbery. I thought this was strange, but I'm used to State side procedures of police reports.

I would venture to say that anti-tourist events might bias what makes the press. My standard alternative hotel (they have TV and air conditioning) is on the beach road. From a person with a time-share there, I was told there were a lot of incidents (of theft) that people do not heard about, and naturally would not make the press.

I'll go off on a tangent here. (Again? More often than not, as all the lurkers might have noticed. LOL) Back in the days that the happy-news board began being moderated, there was a trip report where a guy wrote he flew home wearing flip-flops. It took a private email to learn that his shoes were stolen off the porch. While some of us keep going back better informed and prepared, there must have been some concern that "shoes stolen in Jamaica" might become a stateside news headline. (OK, so I injected a little humor)

I don't think much escapes the press here at home, including things like "man makes love to porcupine, now recovering at home" or people getting arrested, even jailed. What is suppressed or buried too often is the slap-on-the-wrist or court overturned decisions for politically and legally aligned people.

RE: bar owner shot dead in Negril last night - rastagirl777 - 06-04-2016

"There were 2 stories because there were two separate incidents. Two bodies."

Wow.  I did not get this at all!

The bar shooting was outside of Negril.

I'm not the only one who noticed the slowing down of press coverage of shootings in Westmoreland and Hanover parishes.  My local friends who get the paper daily noticed this as well, especially since they know about stuff probably the press never gets wind of. 

RE: bar owner shot dead in Negril last night - TAH - 06-11-2016

(05-26-2016, 01:22 PM)rastagirl777 Wrote:  I hate hysteria and hysterical comments that have NO basis in truth, just in flat out fear.  I'm not going to apologize for trying to strike some balance and I'm not going to change my roll of trying to get the hysteria out of an already tragic situation.  I will say this - if you are that afraid to eat at a restaurant on West End Road because it is on the same corner of a lane where a shooting took place (quite a bit up the lane at that) then don't eat there.  If you fear for your life to the point that you'll never leave the hotel or resort that you are staying at - don't go there....or never leave the beach if that's where your comfort zone is.

Oh, rastagirl...

Ok. First of all, Lime Tree Ln is across from Blue Cave Castle, not by Pablo's. Just wanted to clear that up first. Second of all the "no basis in truth" part... yeah, that's pretty ironic. The shooting on Lime Tree Lane most certainly was not "quite a bit up the lane", as you have twice stated here, which you're clearly just making up. It happened almost right at the corner w/ West End Rd, at a little store right there. Right by the main road. Stop lying please. When are you going to give up this nonsense?

RE: bar owner shot dead in Negril last night - rastagirl777 - 06-11-2016

Tah...really? REALLY?

SMH - nonsense? Get a grip. Another shooting another day. Cancel your travel plans to Negril, its a dangerous place...today especially I wouldn't discourage it.

Because the fears stated in this and other threads have come to pass. A tourist was shot dead right on West End Road, right in the middle of a tourist area.

You can feel good about being "right" now. I feel bad about being wrong. Really bad. Because I never thought this would happen and in the 30 years traveling there I can't remember if a tourist has ever been killed this way at all? It doesn't matter. There is a family in great pain now.

So many lives lost to gun violence in the past three years, including friends of mine. Mixed feelings about the fact that now that a tourist has been shot and killed maybe...MAYBE the "powers that be" will get their shit together and get this mess cleaned up. Meantime, emails are buzzing, phones are ringing...

...and reservations are being cancelled. And maybe that's the way it should be. Sadly I live among a community of people, good people who are terrorized by these thugs and now might have to face the falling off or complete loss of their livelihoods because of their actions.

But calling me a "liar" doesn't change things. So just stop...OK? Stop. You make yourself look like a bully.

RE: bar owner shot dead in Negril last night - suzengrace - 06-11-2016

So many lost to gun violence... What does it matter if it's a tourist or local.An increase in criminal activity with no justice or consequences for the crimes..Why does it take a tourist being killed to now effect people who visit?I guess it hits closer to home as they say.. 
I feel for locals who livelihood depends on tourists..
why would you want vacation in place that your on hyper-alert all the time..cant walk freely on the beach at night on the roads, etc.etc.. 
There are other places with lovely beach towns in poor areas of the world that have no where near the criminal activity that negril has...Of course Negril and Jamaica are beautiful with a unique culture you won't find anywhere else...but it's not worth it to me if I have to walk around with rabbit ears all the time...IMHO...

Small little island with so much crime..... smh

It's sad... 

RE: bar owner shot dead in Negril last night - TAH - 06-11-2016

(06-11-2016, 07:01 PM)rastagirl777 Wrote:  Tah...really?  REALLY?

SMH - nonsense?  Get a grip.  Another shooting another day.  Cancel your travel plans to Negril, its a dangerous place...today especially I wouldn't discourage it.

Because the fears stated in this and other threads have come to pass.  A tourist was shot dead right on West End Road, right in the middle of a tourist area.

You can feel good about being "right" now.  I feel bad about being wrong.  Really bad.  Because I never thought this would happen and in the 30 years traveling there I can't remember if a tourist has ever been killed this way at all?  It doesn't matter.  There is a family in great pain now.

So many lives lost to gun violence in the past three years, including friends of mine.  Mixed feelings about the fact that now that a tourist has been shot and killed maybe...MAYBE the "powers that be" will get their shit together and get this mess cleaned up.  Meantime, emails are buzzing, phones are ringing...

...and reservations are being cancelled.  And maybe that's the way it should be.  Sadly I live among a community of people, good people who are terrorized by these thugs and now might have to face the falling off or complete loss of their livelihoods because of their actions.

But calling me a "liar" doesn't change things.  So just stop...OK?  Stop.  You make yourself look like a bully.

You literally addressed nothing I said. All of those words, to not answer.

RE: bar owner shot dead in Negril last night - jitterbug - 06-11-2016

Goodluck TAH, you must know by now that there is no discussing matters relating to negril and jamaica with rg!!! not in a reasonable manner anyway!!Biggrin

RE: bar owner shot dead in Negril last night - rastagirl777 - 06-12-2016

"What does it matter if it's a tourist or local"
So true!  Unfortunately the reality is that now that a tourist has been shot a lot more attention is going to be paid be it lip service or real "action".

Sadly, my guess is for the former.  But with this one incident tourism in Negril is going to go down the toilet.  Its all over Canadian news by now.

JB and TAH - get it, got it and DONE with both of you.  Don't really care what you think or spew.

RE: bar owner shot dead in Negril last night - TAH - 06-13-2016

(06-12-2016, 10:09 AM)rastagirl777 Wrote:  "What does it matter if it's a tourist or local"
So true!  Unfortunately the reality is that now that a tourist has been shot a lot more attention is going to be paid be it lip service or real "action".

Sadly, my guess is for the former.  But with this one incident tourism in Negril is going to go down the toilet.  Its all over Canadian news by now.

JB and TAH - get it, got it and DONE with both of you.  Don't really care what you think or spew.

Oh, you're done now. That's nice.
You know, I watched for years as you shouted down anyone who questioned tourist safety in Negril. "Tourists are NOT targeted", "this stuff doesn't happen where tourists hang out", and many, many other ways that you belittled those who saw the forest through the trees. For a while there, you even had me thinking that I was over-reacting. Now you're trying to spin it yet again. You could have been a voice of reason, but you chose otherwise. You chose... poorly.

RE: bar owner shot dead in Negril last night - booger - 06-13-2016

(06-13-2016, 10:09 AM)TAH Wrote:  
(06-12-2016, 10:09 AM)rastagirl777 Wrote:  "What does it matter if it's a tourist or local"

"Oh, you're done now. That's nice.
You know, I watched for years as you shouted down anyone who questioned tourist safety in Negril. "Tourists are NOT targeted", "this stuff doesn't happen where tourists hang out", and many, many other ways that you belittled those who saw the forest through the trees. For a while there, you even had me thinking that I was over-reacting. Now you're trying to spin it yet again. You could have been a voice of reason, but you chose otherwise. You chose... poorly."

I have been on the receiving end and have been blamed for being chicken little the sky is falling rhetoric. 

As someone who usually has two or three trips already paid for sans my hotel bill, I currently have one trip planned where I am taking a newbie. Likely it will be my last trip, for awhile that is. I have been looking for 5 days to complete my split stay, and will likely do those either on the South/North coast. The vibe is changing and it does not look like it will revert back any time soon.