The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 41 - File: inc/class_session.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_session.php 41 errorHandler->error
/global.php 54 session->init
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
7 years later!!! - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: 7 years later!!! (/showthread.php?tid=101612)

7 years later!!! - MissJamaicaSoul - 12-05-2016

I'm finally back and feel like i have never been away!!

I used to live here and  then visted every 10 weeks for about 8 years!!!!
As soon as our plane approached MoBay and i saw that turquoise sparkling sea..
..I was hooked......again.
The road trip down  passes quickly .I was on a bus with newbies and i was just as excited as they were.
I threw my case in my room in Negril and set off to see whats happening, whats new.I only take about 3 steps onto the beach and i hear my name being called.I cant believe that people remember me after so long.

The week so far has been amazing.I have walked miles,sunbathed ,re visited lots of old friends,had lots of my favourite soup.....chicken feet .....without the feet please!!!!""

I was so happy to spend some time with Daddy Ron......reminiscing , laughing and that means so much to me.

My friends are still up in Redground, still up in Good Hope.....so really some things dont change at all!
Have had some great time pon di porch at Mi Yard.Its lovely to see Delroy and Miss Pearl again.
I'm truly on Jamaican time again, no worries, no plans, take each day as it comes.
This beautiful wee country has stolen my heart all over again.....and i cant even begin to imagine having to leave again

RE: 7 years later!!! - CardBoardBox - 12-05-2016

I am glad you are back because you owe me a beer.

Intended as humor. We have never met.
Nice little trip report.  Jamaican's have minds like elephants so I'm not surprised you heard your name called. (nice feeling when it happens. ***) 7 years since your last visit? I wouldn't have guessed it was so long ago because IMO the beach road has continually grown, stopping just short of having neon. (maybe there are a couple of those.)

7 years?! That reinforces my argument about elephants. Smile

Glad you are happy. Next Tuesday I get to share it.

*** The next thing I usually hear is "what did you bring?" because used bed sheets are more welcome than the new stuff from Sav which won't last a year according to some.
I'll be down for a month (boasting) and if we're both at Delroy's, I'll buy the first brewsky. Smile
I do owe two people a beer for winning the contest on the other board but the timing is often wrong.

Write more MJS, please.

RE: 7 years later!!! - oldtimer - 12-05-2016

Great start . The business's on the beach must have been a shock to you . I went to see Daddy Ron last March and he was feeling very badly . He is an old man now.

RE: 7 years later!!! - wendy - 12-07-2016

OT...daddy is looking so much better since then. For a bit was pretty scarey. He says he's gotten ahold of his diabetes better. Bless the woman that has provided him care through these years, always a great visit with them. He also has lost pretty much all sight, but still knows my voice.

RE: 7 years later!!! - MissJamaicaSoul - 12-08-2016

Hi old timer,

I typed you out a wee reply a couple of days ago from Negril......the wifi was a bit  sketchy......and the email disappeared.....so here we go again!!!!!

Yes it would have been nice to share a wee drink and a blether......maybe next time right...because sadly im back at home already........hurry up and get back to Negril  next week 
so i can read your trip reports!!!!

I thought that i would do a recant  of the rest of my week and can always add to it later.

Re buy me this or that...not at all.....but i used to get that a lot back in the day!!!!This trip , old friends are putting their hands in their pockets too, which is lovely and a nice suprise, considering how tough things can be on the island.
I manage to watch the end of the Reggae Marathon, which was really inspiring.....I struggled to get a route taxi as the road was locked off.....but enjoyed the banter and the walk.
I realise  how much im enjoying taking my time when one of my oldest friends and neighbour comes to meet me ....we reason  from about 4 pm and are still sitting out  there chatting around 3 or  4 in the morning....I'm so saddenned to hear that so many of our old crew have passed away over the last few years.

We are all a bit older now and have a good laugh remembering some great nights out and some of the situations and scrapes we got into...back then....bike taxis up in orange hill,police ,lunch money........you know how it was then!!!!
My nickname is Cleo and i lost count of how many times im hailed on the street and people cant believe i stayed away so long.My arms ache from all the hugs......Jamaicans squeeze you really tight!!

This is what ive always loved about Jamaica.....everyday is an adventure..as you never know who you are going to bump into .

Food wise.....I'm so going to miss my ackee,saltfish , soup, pattie,dumpling.....the chi ken at the Corner Bar is so good.....portion sizes so big they could keep a family going for days!!!!Like the seating area aross the road there.

We had  a lobster cookout on the beach.....again purely by chance....I'm walking along the boulevard when a car screeches to a halt, does an about turn.....another old friend.....the next minute another group of us are reunited...and that day lasts from about 12 lunch till about 4 am!!!

I thought that i had well and truly passed the stage of staying out late at night, but somehow manage  a few nights......I prefer Appleton to white rum these days.....however as the nights wear on it seem a little white rum was in order!!!

I need air conditioning these days, so stayed at Coral beach hotel.What a lovely well kept property , great staff...hope to see them again soon.

Mo bay immigration  was so quick, only had 6 people in front of me!!!!Trick for me was to fly BA to Miami and stay overnight.....then do a quick flight over in the early afternoon ,instead of arriving around 4 or 5 when all the british and european flights land with 400/500 passengers on each of  them....and nightmare queues.

The beach has been very quiet but that was no problem to me.....I have my own little private beach area a few miles down the road where no one ever goes..its lovely and peaceful....might only see 1 other person there the whole day,usually a fisherman.

I enjoyed meeting tourists from Italy,Poland, Canada,Namibia, USA,England .They have all loved their time in Jamaica.

I leave the island smiling this time...,knowing the next trip wont be too far away.
Need to sleep off the jet lag now.....Bus, 3 planes,train and taxi and 24 hours to get home and it was all worth it!!!!!

MissJamaicaSoulx

RE: 7 years later!!! - oldtimer - 12-09-2016

Thanks " Cleo " .

RE: 7 years later!!! - MissJamaicaSoul - 12-12-2016

More reflections.....

Pavements......(sidewalks)........at last......!!!!!
Could have done with them when I used to attempt to   wear sky scraper heels......and walk in Jamaica.......and fail to stay up right!!!!

Ambulance......yes ....it does exist....I spotted it on Norman Manley Boulevard.....there was an accident one of the nights i was out.The road was locked off near Mi Yard.....but cars just swerved around the area to get through.

Safety....I never felt unsafe at any time....maybe its an age thing..only taking red plate route taxis....not walking around late......hanging out with old friends.

Music ....not playing as loud and as late.....both of these never worried me in the past.
When i stayed in Redground years ago.....I was so used to 24  hr music......its just part of Jamaica!!!!

I can honestly say i really enjoyed the shows....at Roots etc...I stopped going to them about 10 years ago.......I loved all the people watching this time......and met some great people.....and now im already planning my next trip back!!!!

MissJamaicaSoulx

RE: 7 years later!!! - oldtimer - 12-13-2016

I'm glad you enjoyed yourself .I use to work/visit once or twice a year for over 40 years and then I HAD ENOUGH !!!!!! coke brought Negril to her knees . Then after a 6 years rest I went back BUT to farther out the beach road , Treehouse , and have been back 3 times in the last 2 years and plan on going in March again.I taxi almost everywhere after supper , and still get to go play pool at Tayon's , eat at Chicken Lavish , spend a couple of hours at the Corner Bar ,walk up into Redground etc . From the taxi at Treehouse I get dropped off and picked up for $ 10/return . This makes it so easy for me . I tend to " rise to the moment "around the bums ( not to be confused with the working people ) and that makes it easier for everyone . Red Plate route taxi's in the day and Treehouse taxi at night .
A break is good eh !!!!!

RE: 7 years later!!! - MissJamaicaSoul - 12-15-2016

Hi Old timer, 

Just a quick wee reply because you are on Jamaican time now!!!!!

Treehouse looks amazing ......another place for me to try....I've passed by so many times..always meaning to stop!
The Corner bar used to be my local bar .. love it more than ever now!!!
I can't go back to travelling to JA 5 times a year...or living there but yes once or twice a year will do me for now.
Its a very different experience  living in JA , compared to holidaying......!!!!Feel like I could write a book about it!!
If I win the lottery.....I would still want to buy a holiday home there!!!!

Anyway to yourself and other boardies hanging g out in Jamaica over the Christmas hols.....have a great time!!!!!

MissJamaicaSoul