The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 41 - File: inc/class_session.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_session.php 41 errorHandler->error
/global.php 54 session->init
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Overhead Bins - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Overhead Bins (/showthread.php?tid=101613)

Overhead Bins - Firemon - 12-06-2016

United Airlines just announced a new ticket option called "Basic Economy," banning the use of overhead bins for luggage.

http://www.abc2news.com/lifestyle/travel/united-airlines-will-charge-extra-fee-for-use-of-overhead-bins_

RE: Overhead Bins - oldtimer - 12-06-2016

Firemon....could you post the song called United Breaks Guitars . This is a story about a band member from Halifax that ...you guessed it . He won an award for it .

RE: Overhead Bins - Firemon - 12-06-2016

RE: Overhead Bins - CardBoardBox - 12-07-2016

Saw the video when it came out. But he now has 3 and a book and web site and is avail for talks? Wow. Does this guy have, or still need a day job? LOL

And thanks for the news link. What balls. But let me give you the logic, beyond the greed.

Avoiding the cost of putting something in the belly of the plane, people are overdoing the carry-on. The time it takes for people to stuff and grab, and everyone else waits in the isle,  adds a cost to the airline. Might or does or can affect their "within 15 minutes" on-time performance too. So there is an incentive.

As for the fuel cost per pound of people/luggage, there is one but is off-topic to this thread topic.

People AND / OR luggage have been left behind because of the max capacity of the plane, both weight and volume.

One airline is downsizing the max carryon size. Could be the result of more people doing the carry-on thing, and slowing us all down (and looking for space.)

And when checked was reduced from 70 to 50 pounds, and I started using the 'personal item' allowance, today we see more of that. More weight, more time. Book bags are probably next on the list.

History and $h1t from me --
In the 80's I proposed non-refundable fares. "We can't do that. (AA)." Well, they have, with good results.
American (AA is my only experience) started their "no cardboard boxes during Christmas" policy which is now "or ever." You were SOL (internet "luckless") back then talking to anyone about either change, even post booking. I won't go into details.

But this week I accidently found out that SouthWest went from CBB's are OK to "except over Christmas to Jamaica" regardless when they decided and added/posted it (after I booked in August.) Can you imagine the pickle I would be in next Tuesday, without even a car to leave my clothes and gifts in to make the flight? I thought the loss of peanut butter, then Ajax, was an annoyance.

Their email reply (quick, thank you SW) said "Sorry you were not aware." FU, SW, the policy did not exist in print. The email contained sorry's and the implied "U R screwed."

Reps have practically no leeway to alter policy. I tried the phone call route after with the same result. Not her fault so I was not irate. Email described needing to accommodate passengers/cargo but this agent on the phone came back with "it's not us, it's Jamaica which has the restriction. They want people to buy stuff there instead of shipping it in."

Don't you hate it when they lie, are misinformed or find clever ways to pass the buck?

There is one saving grace here. SW will apply my full $470 to a credit on another trip. All the others would cost me 100 to 150. Hope they oversold the flight because they will need it. As disappointed as I and my friends will be, that's my screw 'em back.

Off the wall item. You know how a pound of coffee is now 10 oz? You know how much data is known about you among credit-bureaus, Internet tracking companies, medical databases, etc? Some day your ticket price will be determined on-line based on your weight. Maybe you'll get extra TSA screening based on if you own a gun or have ever purchased peanut butter or have mental issues. Coping with United or Southwest rules and policies puts me that last group.

RE: Overhead Bins - Tim - 12-09-2016

One of the biggest problems is in todays "me first" world, so many people carry on suitcases that are far larger than what is supposedly allowed, along with their jumbo "personal item". Add to that a purse that could carry a small child and all that overhead space gets taken up quickly. 
If the airlines would simply enforce the size restrictions there would be more than enough room for everyone.

RE: Overhead Bins - MissJamaicaSoul - 12-12-2016

My flight from Miami to Mo bay two weeks ago was an eye opener.I have never seen carry on  cabin bags that size before!!!!!

Nor so many people trip over their cases trying to wheel them up and down the aisle.......yep ..and hold every one else up .!!!

Two young Jamaican girls eventually had to open their cases and stow clothes under their seats .....after trying to sit on their cases in the middle of the aisle....to try to flatten them ...to no avail!!!!

I cant travel without doing luggage check in....I went "back packing" around  Australia with 2 cases.....back in the day when BA allowed you to check in 2 cases and take carry on bags too!!!

On the way home on ,my flight from London up to Glasgow.....nearly a riot ....as the flight was full....and people were made to check in their heavy cabin bags at the gate( free)....after people refused to pay.!!!