The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 5195 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5195 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_session.php 505 my_strlen
/inc/class_session.php 360 session->create_session
/inc/class_session.php 76 session->load_guest
/global.php 54 session->init
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 4682 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 4682 errorHandler->error
/global.php 824 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Robbery on the Beach - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Robbery on the Beach (/showthread.php?tid=101716)

Robbery on the Beach - IJ - 02-28-2017

Today around 12:30, two persons were robbed at knife point on the beach near Dr. Loves and Cosmos! Luckily they never got hurt, but out 80us.  (This was posted on Whaagwaan FB Page) Just keeps getting worse. Authorities just don't get it.....

RE: Robbery on the Beach - Oldtimer2 - 03-01-2017

Last March, when we stayed at Treehouse we walked up to Cosmos 3 times to eat and each time Guardsmen came over to us in that dark area and asked where we stayed and walked us both ways . Now I know why . But I guess if we were robbed it would be our fault for strolling along the beach spreading some $'s around not being on our "A" game . Give ALL tourists guns so we can blast those guys away . The other option is to take a taxi every inch outside the resort ..... Oh yeah , isn't that what the A/I's preach !!!!!

RE: Robbery on the Beach - Westenders - 03-01-2017

It's hard to find the right balance between being responsible and wise about our personal safety, and being reluctant to recognise that negril is changing and that some areas are no longer safe or feel safe to go.

The beach up by cosmos is very quiet, but that shouldn't mean risk....although now it seems so.

There are a good few places that I don't venture to now.....and sometimes I question why I still go....and if it wasn't for family and friends I might not go so much anymore.

Being there in January and there being 6 murders in the time I was there caused me to reflect on my visits.

There are lots of new and young faces in the area, where as before you kind of knew people or knew who they were.

RE: Robbery on the Beach - Firemon - 03-01-2017

You've gotta be ready at all times if you roam all over the place solo like I often do.  Just being sober and aware of your surroundings can thwart a wannabe attacker.   Look 'em in the eyes. 

Many reaches ago Smith744 gave me a Five-Star Rachet after reading one of my trip reports--although I must say regularly juggling machetes when I'm in Negril also seems to make an impact.

RE: Robbery on the Beach - JonTom - 03-01-2017

Depressing. Whether things have actually changed onver the years or not, my perception of them certainly has, and things I've one in the past I'd never venture to do now.

There is still a draw to go there, but diminished.

On a personal "oh, duh" note; I thought "out 80us" was some trendy emojii way of saying "we're out" (as in, not going back)... until it clicked "out of 80 USD".

RE: Robbery on the Beach - kylake - 03-01-2017

I saw it first on Dr. O's FB page. I asked if it happened in that wooded area between Dr. Love and Cosmos and the answer was yes.

Basically in that area there is no beach to walk and you have to walk a path through an undeveloped wooded area that is isolated from the road and water views. We got creeped out (lots of rough looking people laying around in the shade) the last time we did that walk from PV to Cosmos and have not done it since.
On a high note of that area there was a guy that setup and had interesting artwork. Kinda 3D, part paint and stuff attached to the painting. I have looked a couple of times but never asked about a price. Pretty unique art for the area and maybe someone knows who that person is.

RE: Robbery on the Beach - kylake - 03-02-2017

I don't believe we are supposed to copy and paste from another source like FB but here is a manual update.

From reading Dr O's page the victims came out and stated facts. It was on the pathway between Dr. Love's and Cosmos in the wooded area along the pathway 4 young tall men wearing hoodies and one brandishing a knife another another saying "just cooperate" and the two others blocking a retreat pathway. He did cooperate and they cleaned is pockets and jumped the fence at the road.

Sad for sure but great they were left unharmed. They did not sound like newbies from other statements made.

RE: Robbery on the Beach - Papa Georgie - 03-03-2017

We owned a timeshare at Beaches Sandy Bay (formerly Poinciana).  My morning walk for many years was up to Cosmos.  Along the former beach resort that was no longer there (cant remember the name).  Past the villa. Along the public beach.  Then to Cosmos.  On my return walk I was robbed at knife point (had to have stiches) on a deserted part of the beach not really all that far from Beaches Sandy Bay.  This was in 2011...we return each year but our habits have changed.  Negril is not what it was 20 years ago.

RE: Robbery on the Beach - Oldtimer2 - 03-03-2017

Mahogoney ( sp ) Inn .