The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Thoughts about this trip still going - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Thoughts about this trip still going (/showthread.php?tid=101998)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Thoughts about this trip still going - shipmaster - 12-29-2017

Hey Jitters,

It will all work out. Change is inevitable for better or worse.

Up on the hill it;s just fine

RE: Thoughts about this trip still going - Westenders - 12-30-2017

Shipmaster....negril is evolving you are right...to a ghost town for most of the year, apart from the all inclusives....bloody bay is doing a roaring trade.

I'd be interested to hear what you think, especially as you don't always seem to be that positive about Negril.

All the old cliches of 'change is inevitable' etc.....apply everywhere in the world....but with regards to Negril....some of the changes are negatively impacting tourism.
Minimising observations about the changes, with these sorts of statements has no value...what would be the point of mentioning anything? accept everything as inevitable?

Great that things are good at your home, 

RE: Thoughts about this trip still going - shipmaster - 12-30-2017

Negril is a nice place for diner or to go to the beach for the day but I didn't ever want to stay there.

I much prefer the hills.

RE: Thoughts about this trip still going - jitterbug - 12-30-2017

Westender: I say it the way I see it
I love the beach in negril, that’s about as far as my love affair with it goes! Ghost town is pretty accurate, give it a few more years and a1 will have taken over, I believe the demand is there.

However, love love the eastern part of ja! And the off the beaten paths. If there was a beach like negril on the other side, we would not be having this conversation.

Negril is a dangerous place, with a lot of stuff that happens not getting reported. I see the clientele changing. The baby boomers getting older and the younger folks not so embracing of the negril that we loved, hence the move to safer spots.

Until I find something else I keep coming back.

Captain: the hills don’t hold much for me as a single traveller. Ok to do a couple of days then back to beach.

Jitterbug, I think we are saying the same thing in a different way..I don't disagree with your perspective at all.

We have done 3 trips this year, and have two booked for next year, but my goal is to not go at all in 2019. I'm sick of some of the things I observe there, it's kind of drowning out the good for me now.

As my hub is from there and that side of the island is where his people are...that's where we are stuck going ....sigh..

My mother in law and that half of the family are in the hills..bores me blind..ok in small chunks for me.....but I am a city chick at heart even at home.

I have good friends in negril, and hub has all his friends and family there, but more time we go now, they are leaving for foreign in droves.

There was a time when hub was on the phone a lot to friends in JA, most of them are now in the US and Canada....or dead from badness or car accident.

And a lot of the younger faces in Negril worry me a bit, or is this a sign of getting older...worrying about the young uns lol.

Shipmaster I get it, you live there half and half and are involved in running a life and business there....I still see myself as a visitor, so Negril used to be my slice of being a tourist and having a 'holiday '....now I go and think it is becoming a bit shady and run down....very sad.

RE: Thoughts about this trip still going - shipmaster - 12-30-2017

I understand the holiday feeling. Although I can't identify.

My fist trip to Jamaica was on a job interview. Three weeks later I was living in Kingston.

It's never been a "holiday". It's the other house and our family

Holiday for us is a cruise on Holland America

There's an old saying "familiarity breeds contempt" The luster has worn off for many of the early visitors.

For us, it's all about the family and that will never wear off

If you are a first time visitor today the same stardust might be in your eyes.

Hope this makes some kind of sense

RE: Thoughts about this trip still going - Aquavit - 12-31-2017

I'm hearing that town is pretty well packed right now. I know LTU was quite full for dinner this past week. Many hotels on the West End booked solid. Noticing a lot of South American tourists this year! One of the "benefits" of having competing island flattened by hurricanes.

I haven't been to the beach this past week but word is its pretty well crowded too. I might wait until after this coming week to go, I prefer the beach less "active and noisy".

Noticing a lot of tourist faces in my neighborhood too, tells me the Cliff Hotel, Hide Awhile and the various AirBnBs around here are busy. Saw a huge group of young people walking down Hylton Ave. while waiting for my taxi yesterday, no doubt coming from Jus Natural - good for them! And when I was dropped off about an hour later another group was walking down as well.

So yeah, the off season is always slow, sometimes slower than other times. But this week seems to be rocking and I'm glad for my friends who own businesses here...its been a long while since Christmas/New Years has been this jamming.