The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Sunscreen Kills Corals - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Sunscreen Kills Corals (/showthread.php?tid=102107)

Pages: 1 2

Sunscreen Kills Corals - Firemon - 04-03-2018

"Coral bleaching is especially happening in areas that are very popular with tourists in part due to sunscreen that contains a chemical called Oxybenzone,"

http://www.kitv.com/story/37864874/hotel-gives-out-environmental-friendly-sunscreen-to-protect-hawaiis-coral-reefs

RE: Sunscreen Kills Corals - CardBoardBox - 04-03-2018

These living animals have it tough (tuff) with sand (from Africa), temperature changes, and being eaten by star fish (which is a reason to not eat conch soup which are their enemy.

Maybe not sufficient to help coral, from the days of burning eyes when suntan lotion would sweat down from my forehead, I discovered waterproof sunscreen which stayed put. Maybe the bad chemical leaches out (unknown) anyway. Long ago there was a waterproof "for children" product which would not sting, and was perhaps safer too. Can not find a product with both properties anymore.

But thanks for the reminder Fm. Reading labels is a good thing.

RE: Sunscreen Kills Corals - daniel - 04-03-2018

any small thing is a step in the right direction . Global wide bleaching of coral reefs should be sounding huge alarm bells . I observed huge changes in places I have swam the last 10 years . And I also pulled plastic bags out of the sea almost every time swimming . I am guilty , but we really need the stop using and wasting plastic .

RE: Sunscreen Kills Corals - Westenders - 04-03-2018

Thankfully the agenda to reduce plastic use is high across many countries now, with plans in the UK to continue to reduce usage.

I think we all need to take responsibility as individuals too, which I have at home but not so much when I’m in Jamaica.

I have already committed to taking a reusable shopper and straws on my next trip.

I don’t drink bottled water anyway as there’s nothing wrong with the water in my home country and the Ja.

Every little helps hay

RE: Sunscreen Kills Corals - JonTom - 04-04-2018

Did some snorkeling and also diving off the " 7 mile" beach 2 weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised that the reef looked reasonably healthy. I've seen it look worse a few years ago and certainly better much longer ago. Certainly not scientific, but by my eyes there were plenty of coral and fish.

Don't see as many lion fish - perhaps the campaign to eradicate (or at least limit) them is helping.

On the down side , I did see one of the resort guides feeding bread to fish to attract them for his guests. I had been told that was to be discouraged.

RE: Sunscreen Kills Corals - kylake - 04-07-2018

Something is killing the coral and the fish have left in the little cove and grotto at Rutland Point. Some people are saying the Royalton is dumping water from their pool and hot tubs into the area. I know for a fact they dumped lots of construction material in the area when they were building and under construction. Where is NEPA?? Oh that's right their head it turned the other way.
It used to look like this video I took a few years ago before the construction.

I know this thread is about coral but the Royalton also completely destroyed a heron rookery on Rutland Point

RE: Sunscreen Kills Corals - JonTom - 04-07-2018

Kylake, Rutland Point looked destroyed in general to me.

Didn't know there was a Heron rookery there, but makes sense given the number I used to see in that area.

I do recall seeing goats up there in the fort remnants. Not sure what happened to either. Also seemed like there were a lot of caves going underneath the point that I can't see anymore - perhaps high tide and I wasn't that close to shore.

RE: Sunscreen Kills Corals - kylake - 04-08-2018

JonTom, what you said about sums it up. Rutland Point has mostly been destroyed. The caves are still there for the time being but people are saying Royalton has plans to turn that area into a beach area for Grand Lido. Not sure if that will happen but I do know some plans are being made and Point has granted an easement on the Point road leading to that area for something. Time will tell..... but if they want a beach for the Grand Lido portion of the hotel not sure why it could not be accomplished on the Bloody Bay side??

RE: Sunscreen Kills Corals - Westenders - 04-08-2018

I can’t comment on plans by the Royalton accurately.

From the posts above based on our stays there I would say that the rumoured plan to build a beach for the grand lido section might not be practical or cost effective for a block of twenty odd rooms. The guests in the lido block would have a steep incline to the area below which some are saying is where a planned beach is.

It would not be possible to have a beach for lido on the bloody bay side. On the other side of the lido is the hideaway and a small beach.
Ten minutes walk away is the Royalton section family beach then after that is the diamond club beach. There is literally know where to build a beach otherwise I think they would have when building.

Rutland point on the Royalton side really does not look spoilt , yes there are now buildings up it but imo it has been tastefully done and the rocks and trees have been left as part of the natural feature. There is still great snorkelling around there.

I can’t speak for what the point looks like from point village but seeing it from a boat ride we took I don’t think it physically looks ruined, but I’m sure there has been an environmental impact in the sea.

I can’t however see how the pools and hot tubs go in the sea, any more than other resorts or hotels would do this. The hot tubs in the rooms drain into the internal system it looks to me. I doubt the pools have been emptied as we would have heard about it given the mixed reviews the Royalton continues to receive.

What I will say is the electric and water cuts happen daily. I don’t think they have installed correct systems To provide electric consistently, even the generators go out. I believe they turn the water off themselves in blocks for periods of time.

A lot of misinformation gets generated from point village people, and I totally get their frustration at the change, but rumours just get people wound up, but that’s Negril for you.(tourist rumours I mean not local rumours)

RE: Sunscreen Kills Corals - kylake - 04-09-2018

Quote:Westenders wrote: A lot of misinformation gets generated from point village people, and I totally get their frustration at the change, but rumours just get people wound up, but that’s Negril for you.(tourist rumours I mean not local rumours)
Not sure what you mean by "point village people" but The Point is made up of a variety of people, short term tourist, long term tourist, owners for 20 years + and many Jamaicans families. UDC is still an overseer of the property and owns several units.
I like you think it is not smart to try to build a beach in the cove as it will be washed out most likely. That said some agreement has been signed unless revoked by the executive board. The Royalton do now have a ladder down to the water as there is a small beach depending on the tide level against the retaining wall at The Point.