The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Your business - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Your business (/showthread.php?tid=102478)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Your business - kylake - 04-19-2019

Once a bought a loaf of bread and came out of the market with it in hand. The charter driver said go back in an make her put it in a bag as you don't want anyone to know your business. I thought really over a loaf of bread?? but did as he suggested.
Now for a culture that seems to base itself on you don't want people to know you business they sure seem to ask a lot of question trying to find out what your business is, where are you from, where are you staying, is this your first visit, etc, etc.
What is the polite way to answer without sounding too harsh or putting them off. I basically try to be aloof and never give a direct answer.

RE: Your business - oldtimer - 04-19-2019

There is no polite way . Try to describe the place you stay like they describe where they live . Out there by the corner , over by the rock and tree , by the store , etc . The rest of it just say " my business " and leave it like that . Besides that " how are things going "....hehehe

RE: Your business - kylake - 04-19-2019

Things are going great OT thanks for asking. I sent you an email earlier and hope you received it.

RE: Your business - Aquavit - 04-19-2019

"Now for a culture that seems to base itself on you don't want people to know you business they sure seem to ask a lot of question trying to find out what your business is, where are you from, where are you staying, is this your first visit, etc, etc."

A cultural conundrum, right? The keeping your business to yourself "thing" is about staying safe. You never want anyone to know how much money you have, what you have in your grocery bag (lest they guess at how much money you have based on what is in your grocery bag) - and tourists tend to share "too much" sometimes like how much money they have, what kind of car they drive etc. Jamaicans LISTEN more than they talk. Something I've learned to be VERY valuable in life in general.

As far as the questions that they ask upon meeting you, when you think about it, these are normal questions to a visitor anywhere - I ask them of new people I meet in Jamaica as well as a conversation starter. Uber drivers in San Francisco ask me these questions (even though I've lived in the Bay Area for 35 years, how do they know that, right?). A question I've always found off-putting, again in general, not just in Jamaica is "what do you DO" often meaning, how do you earn your money....and if I feel especially saucy I reply that I'm an international drug smuggler lol. In Jamaica the "where are you staying" question if asked by a Jamaican makes people nervous and I will always advise as OT does, be vague - "up West End way", "down the beach so" etc. More times than not these are conversation starters but safety dictates to never announce where exactly you are staying. I ask people where they are staying and they always answer me - again if I know w the place, we have something more to talk about and if I don't know the place, again - more to talk about in asking them to tell me about it.

It's interesting to navigate cultural waters in this manner anywhere you go. Jamaican culture mashing up with a large tourist industry definitely presents some conundrums at times!

RE: Your business - Firemon - 04-19-2019

Q: Where you staying?   A: Down The Beach 
Q: When you leaving?  A: When I run out of money 
Q: Where you from? A: Canada 
Q: Have you been to Jamaica before?  A: Long time.
Q: Do you need a date?  A: Wife's back at the motel

Note: I'm a single Minnesotan and not afraid to lie whenever necessary or (since I'm on vacation being interrogated) just for fun.

Scandal Bags!

RE: Your business - AteTheLastSlice - 04-19-2019

A lot of those questions (where are you staying? First time? When are you going home?) are in my opinion, attempts to discern if you're a potential target or not. If it's your first time, they assume you don't know the runnings and may try to put one over on you.

I never say specifically where I'm staying or for how long - too many stories of people being robbed on their last day while on vacation and then leaving because they have to catch a flight and can't involve the authorities.

RE: Your business - CardBoardBox - 04-19-2019

Ditto.

(hows that, for the person who thinks I write long winded. LOL)

Scandal Bag IS a known name. It's those usually striped woven nylon bags (with a zipper top?) you can fit a load of laundry in.

One exception to a bag, or sack, or in my knapsack/book bag for me is for a loaf of bread. (sorry Kylake's driver.) Quess my two reasons?

Broadcasting I am a poor man - see me suffer living on sandwiches, and, improving the chances of getting back with what still looks like a loaf of bread.

One fill; naming your hotel can be used to judge your wealth, or ....

One tangent; I think 'my business' is a polite way of saying do not be too nosy. Use it if it seems appropiate. When I once expressed to a local my avoidance of walking through the old craft market by the fish beach, his advice was to walk quickly and if/when a vendor becons you, point forward and say "I'm busy." He said the vendor would understand and not be offended. Doesn't always work but locals will use both "my business" and "I'm busy" themselves.

***I'm not saying ALL local citizens, so get off my case.

RE: Your business - JonTom - 04-19-2019

Depending on the vibe coming from who is asking, I tend to answer somewhat similar to some of you above. Often trying to put a bit of humor and perhaps a Jamaican reference. Maybe "axe mi no questions..." (frequently I'll get the expected "I'll tell you no lies" response).

For "Have you been here before?", maybe "I was here same time last year". I neither want anyone to know how many trips I've had, nor think it is my 1st time.
Last trip it was "Mi just touched down inna di airport ,mmmh hmmm". Referencing a popular song (remixed with JA musician) seemed to accomplish #1) been here before #2) knows some JA culture and #3) maybe has a sense of humor.

RE: Your business - Westenders - 04-20-2019

Wtf

I actually feel offended for Jamaicans reading this thread

My recommendation either don’t go or don’t talk to anyone

This is just a horrible example of visitors feeling superior .... so when people talk to you they plan to follow / rob/ marry you etc...really??

Wow

Jamaicans listen more than talk... wow they are the noisiest conversationalists I have come across
So what are they listening with some agenda???

This thread is an example of what my husband would say talky box.... chat for chat sake ....and it is derogatory..

RE: Your business - shipmaster - 04-20-2019

(04-20-2019, 01:48 AM)Westenders Wrote:  Wtf

I actually feel offended for Jamaicans reading this thread

My recommendation either don’t go or don’t talk to anyone

This is just a horrible example of visitors feeling superior .... so when people talk to you they plan to follow / rob/ marry you etc...really??

Wow

Jamaicans listen more than talk... wow they are the noisiest conversationalists I have come across
So what are they listening with some agenda???

This thread is an example of what my husband would say talky box.... chat for chat sake ....and it is derogatory..

Thank you for speaking up. Ditto