The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Your business - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Your business (/showthread.php?tid=102478)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Your business - CardBoardBox - 04-20-2019

We don't need Bobby. We have our own.

RE: Your business - Firemon - 04-20-2019

I stand by my comments.  An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.  

Don't let the bad apples spoil your trip.  Too many hustlers gravitate to Negril and look at tourists like they're walking ATM's.

You also need to be cognizant of expats who play games and pull shenanigans.  Don't let your guard down just because their skin color matches yours.  They'll exploit that trust and you'll learn and expensive lesson.   

Go ahead.  Feel indignation.  Wear your "One Love Blindfold."  I've taken mine off.  

RE: Your business - shipmaster - 04-20-2019

I guess I've been wearing those rose colored glasses for 50 years now. Never been robbed or had any one threaten me

Thanks for the heads up experts. I'll be more cautious from now on

Cap

RE: Your business - Westenders - 04-20-2019

Well I’m sure it boils down to your own choice of who and where you hang out...you are grown ass adults... I don’t walk around ducking and diving questions but then I don’t get randoms asking me questions... maybe you need to consider how you carry yourself and the relationships you really have in JA

We have also stayed AI many times and I don’t feel there’s a target on my back, paranoia Is not something I suffer from

Ive never had a one love blindfold on either but That’s now an overused way of putting down a different viewpoint.. that’s gotten old time ago I know many sides of Jamaica from a family and community point of view, maybe that’s why I have a different view.

The bobby comment is funny cardboarbox and the most cohesive statement you made in 5 years.
Insulting people or trying to because they don’t share your viewpoint, well you just carry on showing your arse man.

Thanks shipmaster ,

RE: Your business - Aquavit - 04-20-2019

"A lot of those questions (where are you staying? First time? When are you going home?) are in my opinion, attempts to discern if you're a potential target or not. "

I disagree! They are NORMAL questions one asks someone upon meeting them. They are asked in every language all over the world. They are or can be "conversation starters".

"Where are you staying" - You can be vague and it be considered a perfectly polite and satisfactory answer - mine, when I'm asked that by ANYONE ANYPLACE, but for the sake of this conversation, in Jamaica...."West End Way" or "Deep West End". I'm not drawing a map to my house for heaven's sake. When speaking with Jamaicans, that often evolves into a little Jewish Geography - "do you know so and so" or "have you stopped by this and that place"?

"First time?" - I ask people that all the time. CONVERSATION STARTER!. Simple answer - No. If they want to pursue it further I have no problem answering in more specific terms, what do they have to gain knowing how many years I've been traveling to Jamaica?

"When are you going home" - now, this question I hate! Not because I'm afraid they are going to rob me at a house they don't know where it is or because I'm a "veteran visitor"....its rude in my opinion. The only people that ask me this are usually white tourists. So, when I'm asked this question, I put on a fun righteous indignation face and say "What??? I just got here!". I'm often asked and ask "how long are you staying" - again, no problem to answer this in any way - its not like I'm giving them my itinerary along with the map to my front door.

"My business" - I don't think I'd say that to anyone - I find it rude, its much easier and respectful to answer a question or say "I'd rather not say" with a smile and a change of topic. "Where do you live?" "Where's a great place to be on a deserted beach" or "Where do I get the cheapest beer"? Conversation goes BOTH ways.

As far as throwing in some awkward patois so that the person you are talking to is "sure you know the runnings" because you say "axe" instead of "ask" or throw out some phrase you parrot from your driver - in my opinion that makes you seem more naive than "local". Just be REAL. In a country where its all about respect, the more REAL you are the more you will be respected. Trust me - you are not less likely to get into some shit because you think you can speak patois.

Tourists tend to overshare....and some predators out there count on that. There's nothing wrong about being cautious with the information you share to anyone NOT just Jamaicans...but there is everything wrong about being rude and living in fear.

Like I said and Westy said - Jamaicans listen more than they talk. That's why they remember when you say "I'll buy something later" - they are really HEARING you and taking you at your word. And, like Shipmaster - I've been rolling around Jamaica for 35 years, from the time I was a novice-clueless 23 year old to now, the jaded, "been-there-done-that" repeat visitor who stays there as long as she possibly can...and I have never been robbed, accosted or threatened as well.

RE: Your business - Westenders - 04-20-2019

Great post aquavit

RE: Your business - shipmaster - 04-20-2019

"When did you come" 1968
"Where are you staying" A mi yaad inna hills
"When are you going home?" Mi home now you know
"Ok boss"

RE: Your business - oldtimer - 04-21-2019

It's not what people ask it's how they ask it . I've never been robbed but I am quick to go to the next level . I always was . In days gone by the question was " where are you staying ? " That probably meant that , as you say a conversation starter . If I'm asked where I'm staying outside Scrub-a-Dub at four in the morning that might mean something else . If Lolydie at MiYard asks you where you are staying that means " buy me a drink " Times have changed just like the meaning of some questions .If I'm buying a person a drink because I want to ,so be it BUT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if some one is asking me to buy them a drink because they own the sunshine now I say " What ??? " In days gone by ,not that polite . One time when I was about 25 years old I was at a bar on the beach ( there weren't many then ) and a couple of my friends and I were drinking and smoking cigs . A guy from about 3 tables over called out to me if he could have a smoke . I closed the pack and tossed them over as I would anywhere and he threw them back at me and TOLD !!!!! me to carry them over to him to show him respect . Before the pack could even bounce once on the sand I took about 6 steps and landed a full face smash on him , knocked him off the bench , blood everywhere and I sure he was out cold for a moment or two , and that was it for anyone asking for cigs there . Was I rude or was I nipping a problem in the bud . I've given away 1000's of cigs and it was the 1st time anyone did that and will probably the last time that bum did that to anyone else.

RE: Your business - Flintstone - 04-21-2019

@ Oldtimer, Much respect, I would have loved to see that. I do not smoke so no such problems for me.
When I was in Cuba 3 years ago I saw a tourist from Germany lose it on some guy that stole his beach chair. The chair supply was very limited we rarely got one as you had to go down and claim them at sunrise, or pay the lifeguard. So we are lounging on our towels and we get to talking to these folks in front of us. The gentleman was average sized late 30,s covered in tatoos and a couple piercings. Anyways he leaves his chair for a bit and there is a guy in his seat, he asks him to move but the guy refuses. So he gets mad tells him in german to get up or else, the guy mutters something and refuses. One more warning then he grabs the lounger and flips it with the person onboard air borne into the sand. People clapped, the lifeguard looked away and the gentleman took his seat back.

RE: Your business - JonTom - 04-22-2019

IMO, some good input in this thread on what people approve of, or disapprove of, when interacting with people when on island. Some valid points to consider.

The OP's (kylake) question was:
"What is the polite way to answer without sounding too harsh or putting them off?"

I gather some are not comfortable with the premise of the question in the first place. That's fine.