The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Your business - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Your business (/showthread.php?tid=102478)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Your business - daniel - 04-22-2019

great conversation , great input everyone . Ty jontom for bringing back the op ? , and to Westie  and aquavit for the reality check . I see and agree with your points . Also see the need to be defensive ,  especially as a tourist under literal assault from aggressive salesman anywhere you go in Jamaica . come on  ! I am easy to deal with , enjoy talking with  everyone . Small talk for conversation is great , u need to give me money , because.. gets tired .

RE: Your business - oldtimer - 04-23-2019

Again GREAT TOPIC !!!! Thanks for being civil . I wish some of the others reading these posts would add their 2 cents worth as well.

RE: Your business - Tim - 04-23-2019

Here's my short opinion - for every stranger in Jamaica that genuinely wants to be friendly, there's another testing you out for any kind of weakness.

RE: Your business - TAH - 04-23-2019

I've stayed out of this (and most) conversations here. I see both sides, and what I see as their own respective reasons for having one feeling or the other, or somewhere in between. I think for the average tourist staying on the beach, or even most of the popular cliff spots, you have to be cautious. Most of the time in my experience there has been no need to get rude or aggressive. But there have been a couple, one of which I probably escalated needlessly on my own due to a communication breakdown. Even so, dude was way out of line to begin with. Boundaries can be an issue. Respect goes both ways. 

RE: Your business - Westenders - 04-24-2019

What’s there to stay out of. It’s hardly a fist fight.

I think the different view points are underpinned by your connection to Jamaica.

If you are a visitor even of a trillion years, but the Jamaicans you know are just vacation friends then you will have a different view.

If you have real friends and family that you have a relationship with in and away from Jamaica then you will have a different view of Jamaicans.

If you are basing your opinion on some of the sales people in the beach who aren’t actually vendors then you will have a different view point.

If you look under the surface of what you think you know then you will feel differently.

If you are fake and try and mislead people based on experiences you read about on forums then Jamaicans know, and believe me you are offending them . Even if they don’t say, they know.

If someone random that you don’t know asks you where you are staying blah blah, just say why do you ask.. or say do I know you? No need to get defensive. Sometimes those people are looking for conversation starters, yes to sometimes try and sell you something, but anything more furtive, really?

But I will say that staying in AIs on and off in the last few years, I have found that tourists from the US ask loads of personal questions when you chat with them and tell you loads of personal information.
Canadians I find are similar to English people , they find a common interest such as football or politics to chat about.

So there’s another cultural conundrum ,that I as an English person in Jamaica get asked more personal questions by random American tourists than random Jamaicans.

I think Kylake originally asked some genuine questions, but I think the taxi driver was a bit dramatic. Carrying bread out of a bag hardly indicates anything about you other than you intend to make a meal. I have never come across this and I buy groceries in country where sometimes there are some funny customs to me.

RE: Your business - oldtimer - 04-24-2019

" but I think the taxi driver was a bit dramatic." . Now that's an understatement . A Trillion times ...boy that's a lot. All good points Westy !!!!! Where do you like to stay the best ? AI's or non AI's.

RE: Your business - Westenders - 04-24-2019

Thanks OT
I always prefer non AI, but pricing from the U.K. has become so ridiculous it actually works out the same price as AI, so we have gone the AI route

Of course we don’t stay in the resort, but we eat breakfast there mainly
We don’t use any of the inclusions except alcohol lol

We are out in Negril day and night

What is nice is some of the mod cons, but I can do without them , my line after staying in the west end for years is must have water pressure and electricity ... although this is not guaranteed lol

But the entertainment and organised life in an AI makes me want to jump against a wall

I have told my hub no matter what we are staying non AI next trip
I am feeling a few days at skylark and then rooms on the beach which I really like and is my go to

This would be our first split trip as I hate the thought of all the moving polava

We have done every type of accommodations over the years family, friends, rental, hotel , AI b&b and we decide what’s right at the time for us

I know AI is not popular but when the price is right we jump on, it dosent hold us back

And no matter where we go my husband knows bloody everyone lol

RE: Your business - kylake - 04-24-2019

Never expected the question I asked to get this much traction. Sorry it upset some but I do believe what said and what I was asking was valid. I only had a few simple example question and sometimes the questions do get much more personal. I also should have made it clear that working Jamaicans don't normally even ask, it is mostly the hustlers.

Even at home I don't want someone I don't really know asking me personal question and it has nothing to do with the way you carry yourself but who is asking and if might be for nefarious reasons or not. Back home I would just say nunya but wanted a more polite way to handle such situations and somthing accepting to the Jamaican culture.I guess there isn't an easy comeback. That said Westie had the best generic comebacks.
Quote:Westender wrote: just say why do you ask.. or say do I know you?
Jamaicans have excellent hearing and the walls even have ears.
Is it always for some sinister reason NO but sometimes it might be and that is why you don't want anyone to know your business in Jamaica or anywhere.
Quote:Aquavit wrote:The keeping your business to yourself "thing" is about staying safe.
There are actually several interesting responses and a lot of input to my question and for those that took the time thanks. We actually did have something stolen in the past and it was the day before we left...go figure.

My belief is you can love a country and its people in this case Jamaica but still be critical at times and ask questions that might upset some folks but STILL love the country and the vast majority of people that live there. Just not all of them like anywhere in the world.

RE: Your business - shipmaster - 04-24-2019

Up on Zion Hill watching it rain.
Very peaceful and quiet
Spent the day with my guys striping the living room floor.
Never felt the need for equivocation, mental reservation or secret evasion of mind .......
Enjoy Negril ya'll

Cap

RE: Your business - kylake - 04-24-2019

Good for you Cap. Liquid sunshine helps everything grow!