The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Your business - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Your business (/showthread.php?tid=102478)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Your business - JonTom - 04-25-2019

(04-24-2019, 04:13 PM)kylake Wrote:  ...
Jamaicans have excellent hearing ...
Isn't that so true?
It is probably not proper to ascribe an ability to an entire population, but IMO, the _average_ Jamaican's hearing seems much better than the _average_ hearing of non-Jamaicans.

I once whispered the name of someone I sort of know, as a test, when he was 40 yards away (perhaps a slight exaggeration, but not much if so). His head whipped around toward me. I think he couldn't quite place the source but definitely reacted to it (I did tell him later that it was me). Simply amazing.

More recently I asked a Jamaican if she thought Jamaican's have good ears. She said that yes, they have to. Whether you live in the hills or in the lane, when your mother calls your name from the doorway you better come running quick.

(I would note that in other cultures this may also be true, particularly if first AND last name are invoked... mercy on your soul if the middle name is included... and yet they don't develop superior hearing. Still I found her explanation amusing).

RE: Your business - Westenders - 04-25-2019

Lol yes my father who is of African heritage also used my first and middle name when I was in trouble

My kids must have got great hearing too as they came when I shouted, better that than it is me with a loud mouth lol

RE: Your business - daniel - 04-25-2019

I had a plan(strategy)to use the blank stare total quiet you get from Jcans  ,when they don't want to answer , when confronted while walking the beach or in town . It did not work , as I could not keep quiet .

RE: Your business - kylake - 04-25-2019

Quote: Daniel wrote: I had a plan(strategy)to use the blank stare total quiet you get from Jcans  ,when they don't want to answer , when confronted while walking the beach or in town . It did not work , as I could not keep quiet .
Sign0164

RE: Your business - AteTheLastSlice - 04-26-2019

(04-24-2019, 05:50 PM)shipmaster Wrote:  Up on Zion Hill watching it rain.
Very peaceful and quiet
Spent the day with my guys striping the living room floor.
Never felt the need for equivocation, mental reservation or secret evasion of mind .......
Enjoy Negril ya'll

Cap

I'm not sure how your response is relevant. Being on your own property either with friends or employees is entirely different that being approached by a stranger asking such questions. It's not even in the same ballpark. Must be why you say that in all your years in JA you have never experienced what some are talking about... Because you're answering a different question than being asked.

I have been here 3 days and been asked multiple times "remember me"? By people I have never met. Gotten rude responses to "no thank you" when I didnt want to engage / buy something. To say that things aren't happening, or that somehow people are bringing it upon themselves is ridiculous.

RE: Your business - Aquavit - 04-26-2019

"I have been here 3 days and been asked multiple times "remember me"? By people I have never met. Gotten rude responses to "no thank you" when I didnt want to engage / buy something. To say that things aren't happening, or that somehow people are bringing it upon themselves is ridiculous."

Let me guess - you are staying on the beach? If it really bothers you to be approached this way constantly (I know it bugs me which is why I don't go to Long Bay that much....when the Jet Skis were running I never went there at all!) you should consider staying on the cliffs - there's none (or very little at least) of that shit.

Nobody is saying it doesn't happen....we all know it does. When someone asks me if I remember them (the oldest vendor line in the book in Negril) I smile and say "not in the slightest". The way I see it, if I truly met someone enough for them to remember me out of thousands of tourists they run into they will remember my name. (I've actually had situations when I've been called by name and when I looked puzzled it was a kid I knew from the neighborhood all grown up!)

While we are aware that the vendors in Negril can be "intense" not all of them want to do you harm. You get a lot further with a smile and friendly vibe rather than being defensive and as a result, coming off hostile.

RE: Your business - AteTheLastSlice - 04-26-2019

Just wanted to add I have never been hostile - but a smile, fist bump and polite "no thank you" should be enough and it's not.

We decide to deal with it and split our time on the beach and cliffs. I don't mind the vendors at all- was great to see Norman and get some patties and Coco bread and can't say no to the froots lady. Was curious to see lobster - I thought you had to have all your stock sold by the 21st. But getting nasty responses when I don't want more ganja or a bracelet or whatever... Or being asked for money because they decided to follow you down the beach when you've already told them no... Not my idea of fun.

I enjoy talking to people and have had great conversations with locals and tourists - but when the interactions start a certain way it's obvious what's coming.

RE: Your business - Aquavit - 04-26-2019

Yeah - some of those vendors on the beach sell off-season lobster. Assholes are everywhere, no doubt. Enjoy your vacation!

RE: Your business - Firemon - 04-27-2019

Another tip: Never shake hands with a higgler on the beach.  Fist bump!  Keep moving.   

Otherwise they'll hold that handshake and work that sale in slow motion with small talk (which is fine if you're not trying to get somewhere) and your beach walk will slow to a crawl as your vacation time gets eaten away over and over again as dreads emerge every 25 yards to comically demand respect even though they have no respect for all the hardships you've had to endure just to afford to get away and go on vacation.   

RE: Your business - Aquavit - 04-28-2019

"even though they have no respect for all the hardships you've had to endure just to afford to get away and go on vacation."

I - I - I don't even know what to say here.....its just an outlandish and tone-deaf comment!

"hardships you have to endure to afford to get away and go on vacation" - like, what exactly? Giving up the $7 Latte at Starbucks for a while? SAVING money?

I know you know better how hard things are there. How very few Jamaicans can get themselves to Kingston much less off the island to "vacation".

And the handshake thing is a good idea on many levels, I have been in the grip of those handshakes before lol. But still dude, really????

#firstworldproblems