The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Hospitals, Ambulance and Healthcare - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Hospitals, Ambulance and Healthcare (/showthread.php?tid=102483)

Pages: 1 2

Hospitals, Ambulance and Healthcare - kylake - 04-25-2019

Bringing this back to the top and restarting this project. Please read this first entry and move to the last post on page 2 of this thread as I have consolidated some information

I would say many of us that travel to Jamaica buy some travel insurance and I would guess mainly for medical evacuation, at least that is my main reason.

Just like my last thread about "Your Business" I hope the contributions in this one will help more than just me and if we can get a bunch of good suggestions maybe I can compile a list and have a board admin post a list on top in Important Threads.

Okay here we go...
I had always heard healthcare and hospitals were not that great in Jamaica. Well this past reach I heard first hand about the hospital in Sav and how deplorable the conditions are there from two separate families that were taken there for diagnosis and treatment (both evacuated when cleared to do so). I felt sorry for them but really feel sorry for Jamaicans that most likely have no other option if they live in Westmoreland Parrish and surrounding areas to Sav.
So just a warning if you are taken to Sav Hospital be sure and take clean sheets, a pillow ,food, water also a toilet seat as one day they would have the seats and the next they were gone (pilfered I guess).

I have already heard (after the fact) there is a better hospital in Lucea (not sure of the name) and also a hospital called Hospiten in MoBay also supposed to be better. Both would be closer to evacuation from MBJ.
What do you do before you can leave Jamaica for better hospital and healthcare options simply go to Sav where the ambulance from Negril seems to default or can you get a private ambulance to take you whereever you want like Lucea or MoBay? I do realize depending on the seriousness of the situation the closest might be the best option but Lucea is not too much further than Sav.
To clarify in both cases noted above a hospital was necessary not just a doctor like Dr Grant in Negril.

Looking for:
1. Best hospital for treatment options (focusing on cleanliness/hygiene and location to Negril).
2. Best ambulance service even if private (focusing on ones that get you where you want to go not where they want to take you by default)
3. Best doctors for non hospital ailments and treatments (focusing on Negril location)
4. Also looking for any other suggestions for this list.

RE: Hospitals, Ambulance and Healthcare - Firemon - 04-25-2019

https://www.facebook.com/beth.ploof

RE: Hospitals, Ambulance and Healthcare - kylake - 04-25-2019

Thanks Firemon, that is a good start and something to add to the list. But if we can create a standalone independent list, if Beth was not available there would be additional go to information.

RE: Hospitals, Ambulance and Healthcare - Aquavit - 04-25-2019

Beth Ploof makes phone calls, carries around some bandaids and that's it. Then she brags about your case on Facebook. Personally, I have no need for her services as I am connected with a few physicians in and around Negril if needed. Dr. Grant and Dr. Reddy are both in Negril - I don't have their phone numbers on hand but they are easy to get.

The truth is that medical care in Jamaica just sucks. Under no circumstance would I agree to go to the public hospital in Sav but as a tourist you wouldn't be brought there - they will bring you to Royal, a private hospital/clinic in Sav.

Hospiten misdiagnosed my friend which did not help his dire situation. He languished for 2 weeks at UWI in Kingston (where he had to go when they figured out the misdiagnosis) before he was stable enough to be evacuated to San Francisco. (UWI was not horrible by the way, again, he was in the private wing).

I guess the least of all evils would be Hospiten - its a decent and basic enough tourist private hospital/clinic but is SO not a trauma center and if things are too complicated they might send you to Cornwall (private wing) or Kingston (as in my friend's case). As a tourist they could hopefully treat and street and you can get off-island as quickly as possible.

Any private hospital in Jamaica requires payment up front before you are treated. Make sure you have a credit card with tons of room on it. You will (eventually) be reimbursed by your travel insurance.

RE: Hospitals, Ambulance and Healthcare - CardBoardBox - 04-26-2019

Decades ago the 'bring your own sheets' was true and I brought down a box of them (without ever visiting.) My last visit to Sav hospital (Tryon's situation) in 2018, a different friend and at the time patient informed me the hospital supplied bed sheets.

Can not aid in your 1st three questions Kylake. However,  travel insurance was cheapest ($29 vs $49 direct) on the AA booking site a year ago and insurance was a good discussion on this board (use search routine for 'title')

RE: Hospitals, Ambulance and Healthcare - Aquavit - 04-26-2019

I don't know about sheets but I've heard you need to bring food to feed your patient.

RE: Hospitals, Ambulance and Healthcare - kylake - 04-26-2019

Quote: CBB wrote: My last visit to Sav hospital (Tryon's situation) in 2018, a different friend and at the time patient informed me the hospital supplied bed sheets.
Not doubting your friend but maybe the sheets are like the toilet seats. One day they have them and the next they don't. Also hygiene overall was reported to be sickening. These reports are from just a few weeks ago and by two different families that were in the hospital at different times. That is why I am posting this for suggestions. Hopefully the info we glean will be help to others.

RE: Hospitals, Ambulance and Healthcare - kylake - 04-26-2019

Thanks Aquavit, I had heard Beth was basically a concierge service and not much more. What you state seems to back that up, but if she does know how to navigate the system that too might be of some use.
Not sure why but the families I refer to are tourist. Stay a little longer like 6 weeks but I still consider them tourist. They were both taken to Sav public hospital. Not sure why you think tourist would be taken to a private hospital by default. Maybe if coming from an AI that is the case?? They were not in an AI.

RE: Hospitals, Ambulance and Healthcare - oldtimer - 04-27-2019

My suggestion is to take a cab to Lucea or MoBay .

RE: Hospitals, Ambulance and Healthcare - Aquavit - 04-27-2019

"They were both taken to Sav public hospital. Not sure why you think tourist would be taken to a private hospital by default. Maybe if coming from an AI that is the case?? They were not in an AI."

That is strange - and yes, I consider myself a tourist and I stay longer than 6 weeks but that's besides the point - I've always thought they would take the obvious foreigners to Royal.

If you want to go to MoBay someone has to say so....and come to think of it you'd probably have to hire a taxi or private ambulance to take you there. In an emergent situation they will take you to the closest hospital and that would be in Sav.