The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Hospitals, Ambulance and Healthcare - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Hospitals, Ambulance and Healthcare (/showthread.php?tid=102483)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Hospitals, Ambulance and Healthcare - kylake - 04-27-2019

Thanks Aquavit now we are making some headway. So Royal is in Sav and a private hospital. Is it also good for trauma and is it near the public hospital or somewhere else?
Next my guess is you are correct about the private ambulance. Do you know of any and do you have names or numbers? If not now can you find out?

RE: Hospitals, Ambulance and Healthcare - Aquavit - 04-28-2019

Yes, Royal is private but no! It is not a trauma center. The public hospital might be better prepared for trauma though it seems their Xray machines (forget MRI or Cat Scans) are often broken.

My list of private ambulances and doc numbers are on my fridge in Jamaica, I just looked and can't even believe they are not in my phone! For me, I have a dear friend who is also our regular driver and at this point I think I'd hit him up first to get me to MoBay (least of evils in my opinion). I'll reach out to my friends there and start collecting some phone numbers...the number of private ambulance services has increased over the past few years due to a dearth of "regular" ambulance services in Negril.

RE: Hospitals, Ambulance and Healthcare - kylake - 04-28-2019

Quote:Aquavit wrote: The public hospital might be better prepared for trauma though it seems their Xray machines (forget MRI or Cat Scans) are often broken.
Good information to know and when the two families I referred to needed a scan they were both told to go to some other location for that and then return to the hospital, so you are probably right about the scanners being out of commission at the public hospital. I wonder if it was the Royale they went to for a scan? I will try to find out.

Aquavit any information you can gather will help and thanks for doing so!! As stated when I first started this thread the info will help many not just me. I will gather it all together in one concise listing when many contributions of info have been made or at least several. The more time I spend in Jamaica the more (what I think are) important questions come to mind that need answering not just for me but the many tourist that travel to Jamaica. Who knows the information we gather might even be helpful if in a list format to some Jamaicans that come to Negril on a visit.

RE: Hospitals, Ambulance and Healthcare - JonTom - 04-28-2019

Kylake, this is only tangentially related to your task (Thanks, btw for the effort), but this article touches on where (or where not) to get medicines.

As with most things in JA, I know not to think I fully understand the motivations raising the issue, or what is truly going on, but it appears to be concern over dispensing of medicines by "unqualified" persons.

I will note that 2 lines in particular are, IMO, xenophobic and perhaps racist.

'Scores of Jamaicans could be facing life-threatening risks as some doctors, mainly foreigners operating locally, are bypassing pharmacists and dispensing medication at their offices.'

“The problem of [an] unregulated doctors' office dispensing drugs is becoming more prevalent in the western parishes, which have an influx of Asian doctors who practised similarly in their home countries"

BAD MEDICINE!
Pharmacists sound the alarm on doctors who are having their receptionists dispense drug

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/front-page/bad-medicine-pharmacists-sound-the-alarm-on-doctors-who-are-having-their-receptionists-dispense-drug_163287?profile=1606

RE: Hospitals, Ambulance and Healthcare - kylake - 04-28-2019

Quote: JonTom wrote: Kylake, this is only tangentially related to your task  but this article touches on where (or where not) to get medicines.
Interesting article and I think related more than tangentially. Definitely seems to be somewhat singling out doctors of foreign decent, hmm.
I wonder if the doctor/pharma kickback thing exists in Jamaica like it does in the USA. If investigated by MAJ and a list of doctors was compiled it would be great for the public to know but I suspect the resources for such an investigation are not available.
In doing this project I have noticed that the Western Regional Health Authority of Jamaica website appears to be unavailable. Hopefully only temporary.  

RE: Hospitals, Ambulance and Healthcare - Westenders - 05-15-2019

I think different policies in different countries have different payment arrangements
I have known insurance companies from the U.K. pay medical costs directly to clinics

With regard to Beth Ploof , I wasn’t impressed with how her service operated.
We contacted her for a call out for my grandchild and she did respond in a timely way but she wanted us to pre-register before arranging to come out

We were quite prepared for paying for her services but pre-registering was a bit late given the reasons she offers pre registration service.
That was just bumping the fees I thought

We didn’t bother in the end, went to the doctor and pharmacy ourselves.

RE: Hospitals, Ambulance and Healthcare - kylake - 09-24-2019

As travel season approaches I am restarting this project. As you can see below I have consolidated some information and added more. This is just a continuation and I hope all that can will contribute more information and feel free to suggest any corrections or additions to what I have below if you have better/newer/more accurate information.

Western Regional Health Authority
https://www.wrha.gov.jm/parishes/ for information on all western parish public hospitals

Emergeny numbers

Ambulance

Fire stations (also responible for emergency services)
Sav-La-Mar 876-955-2666/2540
Negril 876-957-4242

Emergency Medical Service E.M.S.
Negril 957-3776
Sav-la-Mar 955-3331
Lucea 956-3835

Trauma Center Hospitals:

1.Hospiten Hospital private in MoBay 876-618-4455 email montegobay@hospiten.com
2.Public hospital in Savanna la Mar 876-955-2533
3.University Hospital of the West Indies (UWI) Kingston (has private wing) 876-927-1621
4.Public Cornwall Regional Hospital (has private wing) 876-952-5100

Non-Trauma Center Hospitals:

1.Public hospital in Lucea, Noel Holmes Hospital 876-956-2733
2.Royal in Savanna la Mar (private hospital) 876-955-3154

Doctors in or around Negril
1.Dr. Michelle Cotterell-Grant in Sunshine Plaza 876-957-3770 or cell 876-842-9517
2.Dr. Reddy in White Hall Plaza 876-957-9733 (7am to 3pm office hours)
3.Dr. Dale Foster Omega Medical Center beside Value Mart 876-975-9223

Dentist offices

Natural Smiles in the new Boardwalk Shopping Village 876-406-0201
Opening hours: 8:30am-5pm (Mon-Fri)
9:00am- 2pm (Sat) NaturalSmilesJa@gmail.com

Dr. David McLeggan Dentistry Suite 8, Kings Plaza, West End, Negril
876-957-9235 drmac@cwjamaica.com

RE: Hospitals, Ambulance and Healthcare - kylake - 10-03-2019

Just did an update to add one more doctor, dentist info and some emergency numbers I hope are accurate. As always if anyone has more or better information let me know and I will edit like I just did.