The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 41 - File: inc/class_session.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_session.php 41 errorHandler->error
/global.php 54 session->init
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
State of Emergency - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: State of Emergency (/showthread.php?tid=102489)

Pages: 1 2 3

State of Emergency - Firemon - 04-30-2019

Prime Minister Andrew Holness has announced states of public emergency for the parishes of Hanover, Westmoreland and St James amid increasing murders.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/lead-stories/20190430/pm-declares-states-public-emergency-westmoreland-hanover-and-st-james?fbclid=IwAR0r6WsPJg6bWgDhaTmL0HWLq_j9fw3_ZT-Io2rWApZkm_erHx8D0R_VNOk

RE: State of Emergency - Firemon - 04-30-2019

security forces have been deployed to the western parishes. Under the state of emergency, they will get additional powers of search, arrest and detention.

http://jamaica-star.com/article/news/20190430/state-emergency-declared-western-jamaica

RE: State of Emergency - CardBoardBox - 05-01-2019

Was it the fable (?) of the Kid with his finger in the Dyke/dike *** I wondered to myself, or the Boy who cryed wolf, as I half suspected another posting of a video from the subject line. (no dig/zing)

But this is news.

The article contains "...they will get additional powers of search, arrest and detention.

"We want to assure the citizens of Jamaica that both the JCF and the JDF have been properly trained and oriented to give due regard to basic human and citizens rights," he said. (end quote)

It has been my belief that even the regular police had the authority/power to stop and search and even do warrentless searches of homes based upon my observations and news stories.

14 days? I must ask if the action is basically just good press. The reason I ask is because of a quote in the 2nd news story:

"In January, a year-long state of public emergency expired in St James. Only last week, Montego Bay mayor Homer Davis called for another ...."

Another story, related, says things ARE better in MoBay. Read:
http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/lead-stories/20190501/custos-soe-long-overdue-westmoreland

Hats off for fixing anything bad. An initial WTF from long term repeat visitors like us is not a problem although one temp change is "businesses are going to be closing early,..."

RE: State of Emergency - JonTom - 05-01-2019

(05-01-2019, 04:20 AM)CardBoardBox Wrote:  Was it the fable (?) of the Kid with his finger in the Dyke/dike *** I wondered to myself, or the Boy who cryed wolf, as I half suspected another posting of a video from the subject line. (no dig/zing)
14 days?
CCB, If you meant that you hesitated to click on this thread because of the subject and poster in the belief that it would be a video that was of no interest to you, you actually mean neither. The Fable (Aesop's in fact) "The Boy Who Cried Wolf" is closer, but unlikely what you meant.

The Dutch boy "sticking his finger in a dike" means to take action to stop a problem from becoming larger. Unlikely that your clicking on a thread would accomplish that.

"The Boy Who Cried Wolf" is used, usually, to mean raising false alarm (so that when actual danger arises, nobody believes you). The boy does fool the townspeople initially, and perhaps you wished not to be "fooled" by clicking on the thread, but that's not the larger meaning.
Maybe "Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice..." or something similar.

Then again, your post has "I wondered to myself", so it is perfectly plausible that you wondered so internally (albeit somewhat erroneously).

I digress.

As for 14 days... Gleaner has "It will initially remain in effect for 14 days." (emphasis mine). There have been other SOE that were extended after the initial time expired. I wouldn't be too surprised if these are as well.

I wonder what the impact will be on hotels/resorts that have staff who usually return home after-hours or need to rise early to get to their place of employment. Some articles talk about relief for business hours, but it is not clear to me what employees in transit during odd hours must do. Is it just a sort of checkpoint process where the individuals are granted permission by the JDF/JCF?

RE: State of Emergency - Firemon - 05-01-2019

You left out Chicken Little and the Sky Falling.

The declaration will last for only 14 days, after which the Government must seek a two-thirds majority of both Houses of Parliament for any extension.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/-we-must-save-lives-commish-gives-reason-for-new-soe_163623?profile=1606

Yesterday, the Jamaica Hotel and Tourist Association (JHTA) said that while its membership would have preferred not to have to deal with the negative publicity that an SOE will cause in the tourism market, particularly the USA, Canada, and the UK, they “fully understand that this action has been precipitated by the return of an unacceptable level of shootings and murders in western Jamaica”.

RE: State of Emergency - Westenders - 05-01-2019

So just like st James last year short term solution to long term problems. Just demonstrating that since killings have increased again after emergency powers ended, that you can’t arrest your way out of the problem.
There needs to be a more holistic intervention that emergency powers are a part of but not the only response.

Sigh, you don’t need to be an expert to see what else needs implementing to effect long term societal change

RE: State of Emergency - JonTom - 05-01-2019

Past few months, "State Of Emergency" brings this song to my mind.
Mostly because of the way he sings it (though SOE is a minor point in the song).
Not making light of the current real-life situation, but I do like the song (the sound, that is).

J-Rile: "Jimmy"

RE: State of Emergency - Aquavit - 05-01-2019

I think this is a good thing. For the year that the SOE was in place in MoBay gun crime was significantly reduced (since the SOE was lifted? Honestly, no idea).

The people of Negril have been wanting the army to come in for a long time. Nothing "specific" had to happen - its been happening and growing in an alarming rate for the past 5-7 years. So really, this was long overdue.

It won't affect tourists other than dealing with some checkpoints and accepting some businesses closing earlier than normal. The little shop in my neighborhood where we hang out each night closes up early anyway, just because she is alone and does not want to tempt the fates. We always stick around until she is well locked up and heading up her driveway to her house.

I agree with Westy, at this point especially this is a band-aid on a large bleed. But I'm hopeful it will help.

I'll be checking in with my people this week to see what the reality of living with it really is. I know that my friend who lives in MoBay told me she never felt safer while the SOE was on there.