The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 41 - File: inc/class_session.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_session.php 41 errorHandler->error
/global.php 54 session->init
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
OK guys..deep fried turkeys... - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: OK guys..deep fried turkeys... (/showthread.php?tid=102528)

OK guys..deep fried turkeys... - oldtimer - 06-12-2019

Let's have some comments .The lobster season has been extended by 3 days so my son and daughter-in-law have pushed back their lobster boil by 4 days and one of my daughters suggested we have a deep fried turkey at the same time . Who has done this or at least tried this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RE: OK guys..deep fried turkeys... - kylake - 06-12-2019

I have done it so many times I cannot even remember.
Completely thaw the turkey if frozen
You can inject if you have an injector or simply brine overnight with some herbs. Best size for frying are 12 lb (little less or little more is okay)
Best to use peanut oil or any commercial high temperature oil you can fry up to 3 turkeys in the oil (one at a time) before you discard or clean the oil. Putting in a bunch of cut up potatoes after frying 3 turkeys will actually clean the oil enough to fry about 2 more before you discard the oil.
Bring oil to 350 f or 175 c before dipping the turkey in the hot oil. Do so slowly so the oil does not overflow. I actually dip about 1/3 of the bird in and then lift back out and repeat next time about 2/3 in an back out and usually the 3 time all the way in unless the hot oil is still splattering too much.
Temp will drop so crank the heat back up to get back to 350 f but regardless the bird cooks for about 3 to 3 1/2 minutes per pound. If you decide to do whole chickens instead increase the time to 6 to 8 minutes per pound.
**make sure there is no ice or water left in the turkey when you put it in the hot oil or it will basically blow out the oil and burn anyone around and depending on location start a bad oil fire.

Hopefully what I wrote is clear to a novice but if you have any more questions ask here or email me.

RE: OK guys..deep fried turkeys... - shipmaster - 06-12-2019

Kylake,

That's the same formula I use. Been frying Turkeys since we moved to North Florida 20 years ago

It's the ONLY way to cook a turkey. Try it once and you're hooked

Just don't set the house on fire. Here's what happens if you do it wrong

RE: OK guys..deep fried turkeys... - oldtimer - 06-12-2019

All this will be taken into consideration !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks !!!!!!

RE: OK guys..deep fried turkeys... - Aquavit - 06-14-2019

I'm writing to defend the ROAST! 24 hour brine, then low and slow for as many hours as it takes. In a paper bag (self basting).

I never saw the reason to fry a turkey. I still don't though I do have an open mind, especially when it comes to food.

God, I miss lobster boils.