The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error

Jamericans
Tammy... - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Tammy... (/showthread.php?tid=102666)

Tammy... - Aquavit - 12-04-2019

Hey Tam!
Thanks for checking into this. This new thread thing is getting old for everyone I think lol.

No, you are SO RIGHT Negril is NOT the same as it was 10 years ago, shit, this crap hit close to home to me in 2005! Like you, we fell in love with the Negril of the 1980's and all that changed in 2002 (in my opinion).

Still...I guess I get nervous because (1) everyone lumps ALL of the West End together and the Deep West does indeed have a different thing going on that the rest of "the West". Our neighborhood was really not troubled by this garbage up until now. And....our neighborhood really doesn't get much tourist traffic at all. It concerns me when the coin is tossed and people say "I"ll just stay on the beach" when we have lots of lovely and safe places to stay, eat and hang out right here. Most of the folks on this board know and love the West End vibe.

Still, it like most was targeted (the motive rumor mill is just RIDICULOUS at this point) and with these arrests people are feeling less freaked. Look, people still go to Corner Bar despite the gun violence that is happening there so, there ya go. I just hate hysteria, it makes me nervous and gets people so so negative. Life goes on. I knew Patrizia for many years, she used to live in my yard and I hope she is resting easy. I hope we all (and by we and mean ALL OF WE) can heal and move on.

Tourism - I learned a phun phact the other day. Apparently, according to the JTB, tourism numbers in Negril have NOT dropped. Its room inventory that has massively increased and that makes sense....the Royalton took a 200 room property and turned it into a 600 room property....smaller hotels like Coco LaPalm and Rockhouse have been adding rooms. The silver lining to this is that many properties are offering great deals NOW (LTU Gardens, $49/night) and Catcha is planning a sale for the first week of January. The bad news is hotels that would run at 85% this week are now running at 50%. Its all going in the crapper and now I'm hearing of a 2,000 room mega resort being built in Green Island (from a pretty reliable source).

And where am I? Sitting here on my ass, watching the sunset (yes, I can watch it and type) in Negril, in my yard - Deep West End. Why? Because I can't quit her.....

Big love to you gal, thinking of you often....

RE: Tammy... - Tammy - 12-10-2019

I understand what you're saying about lumping all the west together and I can't say that I myself don't feel some kind of way about staying up there. I had a bad experience at the beginning of westend and it did scar me then I barely escaped a bad experience staying mid westend by one night and then the stories so it has affected me over the years. I have had wonderful lifetime memory stays as well. The westend is certainly the most beautiful end to me. 

Yeah I heard some of the rumors and they were ridiculous. 

Being a part of one FB page has really enlightened me on why so many things have changed. The wealthy have really changed Negril and desire to change it more. They think with their money they rule the way things should go and unfortunately, the money hunger of some have allowed it. They stay in their $250 - $400 a night rooms (which is insane unless it is AL), think $50 for 8 pcs fried chicken and some mac-n-cheese is dirt cheap (not sure where they live), and want music off by 11 PM. I don't know how Jamaicans can even live in Negril anymore. They didn't like Jamaica and her people so they changed it to Florida. The only reason I would come back to Negril is for the friends I love. 

Yes I go to Corner Bar as it's still the Jamaica I so loved. Hell MiYard can't even stay open past 12 now, so sad. Alfreds closing at 12 AM or earlier. Can't even get chicken on the road late night. WTH ??? These businesses/Jamaicans are suffering. Yes the SOE but also rich people and their want to have everything quiet at 10 pm. Oh well as they say those who have money have the power and sadly they found Negril.