The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Sandals jettys - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Sandals jettys (/showthread.php?tid=102738)

Pages: 1 2

Sandals jettys - kylake - 05-14-2020

I have heard from someone still in Jamaica that Sandals is building jettys during this tourist shutdown. They have completed one and plan on two more before reopening on June is what the person saw and heard from the guards when he walked the beach. I guess they must have gotten the go ahead from NEPA and NRCA agencies.

RE: Sandals jettys - TAH - 05-14-2020

Where? 

RE: Sandals jettys - kylake - 05-14-2020

The Sandals near Hedo. They lost a lot of beach in the fall and again when we were there in winter. About the same time as when the big sailboat broke from a mooring.

RE: Sandals jettys - TAH - 05-14-2020

That's a shame. Wonder why it hasn't been posted elsewhere yet? 

RE: Sandals jettys - kylake - 05-15-2020

Quote:TAH wrote: Wonder why it hasn't been posted elsewhere yet?
Good question, well my guess would be there are very few people that use these message boards actually in Jamaica now. Of course that is just a guess but I am getting this from someone that didn't take a flight one of the last flights out when it was offered in late March and is now basically trapped until they can get a flight out. I have no reason to doubt that person and I will see if they can get a picture and then send to me so I can post.

RE: Sandals jettys - TAH - 05-16-2020

Oh I definitely believe it, it just seemed odd that it hasn't popped up elsewhere by now. Just thinking back to how publicized the proposed "breakwater" was a few years back on the usual Negril site. Strange. 

RE: Sandals jettys - CardBoardBox - 05-17-2020

If they are doing it to their property (technically it isn't), I don't have a problem with that.
The breakwater of a few years back involved various CONFLICTING opinions, studies and results from other parts of the world. Nothing was resolved as 'best', and there were squabbles about the big bolders in transit/storage at the one downtown parking area, noise, and maybe a little of "who's fingers are in the pie."

General feeling you can not stop Mother Nature, but I wonder where did the sand go? Not all of it shifted West to the river jetty. Did the coastline of 1984 become the 5 feet deep spot through migration towards deeper water? Oh the battle cry late 90's "the beach is not disappearing" but that was one man.

RE: Sandals jettys - oldtimer - 05-18-2020

Sand moves all the time . It is one of natures way of cleaning the ocean bottom . After storms the ocean is turned upside down . this allows for new life to begin again . The best fishing is after storms . The sand will move up and down the beach and in and out next to reefs and outcrops with the tide and wind . If there were no hotels you wouldn't notice the sand coming and going but when you have a hotel that the guests expect sand they don't want to wait for nature to do her thing ,they want machines to move stuff . If your prepared storms are beautiful . I live next to the ocean and have a storm hut so we can watch the storms .The Captain of the sea is Mother Nature and she does what she wants to do .

RE: Sandals jettys - TAH - 05-18-2020

CBB; it isn't their property, as you know, or should. Properties only own to the high water mark. A jetty is by default in the water. They cause more problems than they solve, are incredibly ugly, and affect adjacent properties in ways they can't control. 

There was/is no reason to install breakwaters, other than to ensure that their guests (and only theirs) don't complain when the beach recedes. It's nature, and should be respected. 

You say some really objectionable things. 

RE: Sandals jettys - kylake - 05-18-2020

My friend did send me a couple of pictures. The first one is the jetty closest to Hedo (looking toward Hedo from Sandals) and the next picture shows 3 total (2 still being constructed) and I am told there will be a 4th. TAH I guess if it hasn't show up on any other boards or in the news it was first reported and pictured here on Tammy's board as breaking news.
[attachment=2931]
[attachment=2932]