The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Red Ground story..old - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Red Ground story..old (/showthread.php?tid=102965)

Red Ground story..old - oldtimer - 10-06-2021

Many years ago when I lived and worked on Jamaica I lived in places like Ochi Rios , Kingston , Bog Walk , Linstead , Mandeville but always had an apartment/room at Hill Top Cottages up in Red Ground . Coming up Hermidge Rd there was a driveway into Hill Top by a wall but now it is farther up the road . When I was there I always had a boom box sitting on my balcony with the music on . Each day as the kids went to school they would stop and dance to the tunes . Every once in awhile I would buy the kids ice cream down the road at Faith Luck ( now there is old time place ) But when I was away on the week days I would turn the radio off and set it back out of the weather . One day a little girl all dressed in her blue dress and white blouse came up to my balcony and said " Mr. White man , if you leave the radio on I will put it back out of the rain for you ". It was NEVER turned off again and to this day it's in my barn on !!!! 6 years ago when my son got married at RIU , a manager from RIU walked up to me and asked if I remembered her . I said no I don't think I do. She said " when I was a little girl I asked you if you could leave a radio on for us up in Red Ground and you did and I never forgot it "

RE: Red Ground story..old - TAH - 10-06-2021

That's a nice little story, OT. Good stuff. 

RE: Red Ground story..old - dave - 10-06-2021

great story-made mi smile

RE: Red Ground story..old - Negril75 - 10-06-2021

[attachment=2948]OT That's a great story!! It's amazing how well Jamaicans can remember old time visitors. Although we've all had hustlers on the beach in Negril claim "I know you" there are in fact those that do. Some of you might know Barry's place on the beach about a mile north from town. Barry died last year after having suffered a stroke a couple years gone. His Grandmother Gloria Jackson had a place called Gloria's Sunset Cottages on the very spot were Barry's Place is now next door to what I think is called Mom's. Gloria's property was divided up among Barry and his aunt Maureen I believe. It was a prime spot running between the road and the beach and later the Bar-B-Barn was built next door. Barry was a tiny little kid when I first stayed with Gloria in 76'. He did errands around the yard and was Gloria's eyes and ears, always happy to help guests enjoy their stay. At the time there was a thatched roof A-Frame cottage separated from the beach by a big Sea Grape tree. The A-Frame had a front cottage and one on the back side a smaller one. The one facing the beach had a loft upstairs and it was a very cool runnings spot. After being a two or three time a year visitor to Negril for probably 10 years there was a hiatus where I didn't visit for a couple years until I finally returned for my Honeymoon in 87. Although I stayed at the Villas Negril I stopped by Gloria's property to find Barry in charge after Gloria had passed. Despite not having seen Barry since he was a kid it was heartwarming to see him running the place and it was like old friends again.

Speaking of Red Ground did any of you have the good fortune and privilege of knowing Mortimer Johnson who lived in a well kept little wood house at the top of the hill and around the corner in Red Ground up from the corner where the Wharf Club Restaurant was. Nicknamed "The Bong God" Mortimer hand crafted bamboo bongs and treated guests to his house to mind blowing bong sessions. I remember choking for air after hitting on his saxophone bong and seeing stars before regaining my breath. From there is was pure stumbling down the hill and searching out a cold Red Stripe to quench my parched throat.

[attachment=2948]

RE: Red Ground story..old - oldtimer - 10-07-2021

Red Ground was magic back in the day . Gramma Porters , wouldn't that be a great place today ... but for the coke heads and the lottery scams . You mentioned barry's on the beach . Did you happen to run into a guy there from Nova Scotia named Scrapper ? I use to go down into the caves and one time we went as far down towards the sea that the water was salty . We would go with Capt. Bates who said he could go up to the cliffs coming out at Awee-ma-way.

RE: Red Ground story..old - kylake - 10-07-2021

What a great stories OT and Negril75, thanks for sharing! IMHO historical stories like these put this board way above other online social media for Negril.

RE: Red Ground story..old - Firemon - 10-07-2021

Barry was good to me.

Nice story OT.

RE: Red Ground story..old - Negril75 - 10-07-2021

OT Honestly I can't remember the names and nationalities of those that I met in Negril with the exception of a few. One of which was a guy named Eric Lindsey a Canadian guy turned preacher. Not sure where he hailed from but he spent many monyhs on Negril Beach headquartered at Cafe Au Lait a small breakfast cafe and guest location. Eric was tall and skinny with a beard symbolic of the Jesus we all recognized. A very mellow human being he preached peace and Love to all on Negril Beach. Cafe Au Lait if I remember correctly was located up near the Catholic Church Mary Gate of Heaven although I do't remember that name back in the late 70's.... Eric meant well and for years after Negril I would get Christmas cards from him originating from Poughkeepsie, NY. He had married an American woman and had gained permanent residency. Then all of a sudden the e-mails and letters stopped. Not sure but I assume Erik had a health crisis of some sort. Maybe somebody from this forum knew him??