The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 41 - File: inc/class_session.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_session.php 41 errorHandler->error
/global.php 54 session->init
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
The Harder They Come .... - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: The Harder They Come .... (/showthread.php?tid=103007)

Pages: 1 2 3

The Harder They Come .... - oldtimer - 11-16-2021

Nice story 75 I have a story as well . In the winter of '73 ( I think ) I was working in Runaway Bay at the bauxite terminal for shipping . We were replacing boiler tubes for steam power to the conveyer belts . I was living in Ochi at the Carib-Ochi but use to go back into the mountains lots . They were playing The Harder They Come at a bar using a sheet as a screen . The locals were everywhere , playing the parts in the movie . It was crazy !!!!!! Yelling and hollering and jumping and spliffs galore !!! What a show ... and the movie was great as well !!!

RE: The Harder They Come .... - Negril75 - 11-16-2021

OT2, Great story too. Over the years I was very fortunate to have met some very prominent photographers in Jamaica some of whom were involved with the movies "The Harder They Come" and the follow up "No Place Like Home" both Perry Henzell directed films. NPLH was shot in many locations including Negril and Sav La Mar. Watching those movies today brings back many memories of the 70's in Jamaica which were magic times for me!!

Perhaps You all know of Jakes and Jack's Spratt next door in Treasure Beach. Both are run by Jason Henzell, Perry's son who pretty much runs both establishments. They offer what is considered by many to be the best pizza if not in Jamaica then in TB. One night a week (Thursday) they have a movie night showing Jamaican movies such as "The Harder They Come"or "Country Man" or "Cool Runnings"where they run the films free to whomever happens to be there along with a bonfire on the beach. It's a fun place!!!

RE: The Harder They Come .... - TAH - 11-16-2021

It is a cool place, for sure. We stopped spending much time there over the years, as the guests started skewing away from the "independent traveler" type, to more yuppies and hipster types. Just not our vibe, really. But it's a very nice, funky place, I just wish Conde Nast and the like had left it a little more undiscovered, a little longer. 

TAH, that seems to be the case of all the travelers to JA, a major shift over the years although Treasure Beach has enough diverse settings one can still find an Irie spot. For me as much as it hurts to admit it Negril has gone to although being down there now from the standpoint of having some breathing room must be a relaxing time. My concerns are the Jamaicans and their inability to have quality health care should they need it. So many fond memories!!!

RE: The Harder They Come .... - oldtimer - 11-17-2021

What I like most of all around TB is that you make your own fun . Pack up a little bag with dry short , a roll of TP ( back up ) ,a bar of soap and your good to go for the day . The property I owned was about a 7-30 minute stroll from the Post Office .Depending on who you started to talk to . Not a big fan of Jakes . Overpriced in my mind . Country walking was always cool and very seldom was there never an adventure . I walked from TB out as far as St Charles one time and ended up staying in Bull's Bay for 3 days . Went fishing and went up to Black River several times . I just love doing things like that . Eating fish freshly cooked on the beach .. can't beat it .

RE: The Harder They Come .... - Negril75 - 11-17-2021

OT2, If you don't mind me asking what prompted you to cut lose your property? You must have invested many years of B,S & T...

RE: The Harder They Come .... - TAH - 11-17-2021

Right on OT, that's how we travel too. Pack a bag, and go do our thing for the day, see where we end up. We took our moped to St Charles beach, and then up to Parottee, but turned around before we got to Black River. I just didn't feel like dealing with Black River on a moped, with the Empress en tow. Then we've gone the other way too, up into the Pedro hills, Lovers Leap, the whole area is pretty nice and friendly. Great views on some of those rides, but wish we had a motorcycle instead of a moped for sure. 

We usually stay at a guest house, or modest villa. Kudehya is nice, right up our alley, but we've stayed at a few others too over the years. 

RE: The Harder They Come .... - oldtimer - 11-18-2021

75 the answer to your question is hard to answer quickly but the short answer is I no longer want to live there because of medical access . No amount of insurance will get you to Kingston on time . It was/is beautiful !!!
The school on top of The Santa Cruz Mts is called MacDonald Collage and is run by people from Montreal Quebec . If it wasn't so far away from where I worked I would certainly have sent my kids there .

RE: The Harder They Come .... - Negril75 - 11-18-2021

OT2, I guess you're right about the healthcare issues and assuming that you have the medical attention that you need when you need it in NS then it makes sense. My place in Maine is about 30 miles from St. Stephen N.B. (off the "Airline Road" RT 9) and is off the grid with hit or miss cell signal so if I suffered any kind of emergency while there I'm a goner so in that regard it wouldn't matter. Granted I'm in Maine only part of the year so otherwise I'm safe. How many years did you live in JA??