The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Petrona, Fuzzy, and more - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Petrona, Fuzzy, and more (/showthread.php?tid=103012)

Petrona, Fuzzy, and more - CardBoardBox - 11-21-2021

Petrona, who managed BlueCaveCastle, is a fine lady. While I only stayed there trice, I made it a point to visit her whenever I was in town.

I was a rare bird, who never had to send in a deposit.
Actually, the first time she didn't even have my first or last name but I was vouched for by Pirate.

That first stay was on the top floor of the tower and mist would come in so the window had to remained closed. When a storm came, it couldn't be rented.

Not to be forgotten was Fuzzy, the grounds keeper. Someone you'd want as a friend. He helped construct the place. He was force into retirement and moved to his house in the hills, with no current. I was happy to give him a crank-up radio when I saw him in town. That was too many years ago.
A friendly character. Helpful in his own right. (huh?) I had a large kitchen knife in my hand I intended to deliver elsewhere. When he saw it, in typical Jamaican speech, came the advice: "Go to prison." That's short for: Don't get caught carrying that or you'll be in jail.
Indeed, the police frowned on anyone possessing a knife. Maybe it's still true.

Elsewhere is a conversation I was tempted to join in on revolving around temptation. I remember the story.
-my event on how donated goods get sidetracked-
On one trip I brought ten sets of bed sheets for the hospital in Sav. A friend (weren't they all?) offered to deliver them for me. On a later trip I asked how that went and he admitted that they never made it to the hospital, that local families needed them more. I wasn't upset since (U can finish this sentence.) It still does not register that maybe, just maybe, he sold the sheets. We dismiss what we don't want to believe.

This tread is stand alone because I don't want to defuse great discussions. I tend to be negative because of my "Avoid the bad and your trip will be good" so I bring up the bad. I also bring up tangents such as that in the past year, the burning of the rain forest was a large as the state of Conn.
Plus trivia I learned such as the "Pig war (1640)" on Staten Island, NY happened when the Dutch ruler of the land covered up the theft of Indian owned pigs by white settlers by blaming a different Indian tribe. (the 2 tribes had a battle.) Later it got worse when a peace treaty was to be discussed and all the Indians in attendence were killed while they slept. (Whiskey war, 1642.) URL on request but I know no one wants it.

The only story taught us was Manhatten Island was purchased for $27.

So when someone says that was interesting NOT, ....

RE: Petrona, Fuzzy, and more - daniel - 11-21-2021

Fuzzy 1978

RE: Petrona, Fuzzy, and more - Firemon - 11-22-2021

Wasn't aware the BCC had closed. Sad news. Loved my stay there and Petrona was as nice as everyone has said.

Was it due to a downturn in tourism due to the pandemic?

The property had some very loyal clientele. Some fun chats in the yard at the big table.

I just wish there were more dinning choices within walking distance. Always taxi...

RE: Petrona, Fuzzy, and more - TAH - 11-22-2021

It had been going downhill in some ways for a while. They would close for stretches of the year, then open for high season. Then Susan fired Petrona, Teddy moved on, I never got a clear answer whether they fired Santo, Mas Wint, etc. Word was they were going to reopen, but it just hasn't happened. The whispers I got from some there, was that Susan's new Jamaican boyfriend was into some "things", and was making some changes, or pressuring Susan to do so. But that's just chat, who knows... though he was always hanging around, and staff seemed a lot more careful about conversing while he was nearby. 

As Firemon said, lots of loyal return guests there. Same faces, every year, sometimes multiple times a year. We got to know a few, all were good people. It was/is such a unique spot, and a great value for budget (but not hostel level budget) travelers. We like to walk, so never minded hiking a bit if we wanted something other than Pablo's, Jenny's, or PeeWees. 

RE: Petrona, Fuzzy, and more - CardBoardBox - 11-23-2021

What I heard on the street (1 person, but who is sure of its source) was that Susan and her (ex?) husband could not come to terms, hence BCC could not be sold, if in fact that is what she wanted to do.

The off-season closures began before this pandemic. The west end has suffered over the years

Places to eat between BCC and Chicken Lavish have increased in number.
The Spa (formerly Heartbeat) has a high-end sit down.
On the Rocks next door (?? current name) had a restaurant 2 years ago
Next to Jenny's is Connie's (great BLT's and a bar)
Next to Tryon's (closed) is a small place, and last,
Canoe on the sea side has been there long time.

MiYard has food, and a bar, but has suffered greatly since the restricted hours began prior to the pandemic when the police/gvmt was trying to reduce crime and 24/7 wasn't allowed.

PS Interesting about Teddy at Treehouse. Maybe he knows where Petrona is. You know how much info is known while they all try to keep their business private in Negril. Except if someone owe's you money, then you hear "He died" (regardless) LOL

RE: Petrona, Fuzzy, and more - TAH - 11-23-2021

Interesting about Susan and her ex. I just wish the place would/could re-open. It's a special place.