The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Treasure Beach - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Treasure Beach (/showthread.php?tid=103017)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Treasure Beach - oldtimer - 12-16-2021

Usually it is not good fishing off Negril . Fishing out of Little Bay it gets better but the south shore is the place to go . I'm amazed that there are any lobsters left after all the babies they bring a shore and sell on the beach . Very poor fishing practices .

RE: Treasure Beach - Firemon - 12-16-2021

Negril's raw sewage pours into the ocean and kills the reefs which would ordinary support a thriving fish population. The glass bottom boats offer nothing aside from a nice boat ride (I do like the boat ride) and snorkeling/scuba is exceedingly poor if you've been underwater practically anywhere else on the planet. By comparison the protected waters of the Florida Keys offers such an abundance of life and colors it makes the the near uninhabitable waters surrounding Negril look like a moonscape.

RE: Treasure Beach - kylake - 12-16-2021

Negril75, to answer your question I was in a small boat with a 40 hp engine but we were out in the same area as the bigger boats like Stanley's. I would guess we were about 7 miles out. You could not see the beach but you could see tops of the large hills behind the morass. The boat was Cool Running operated by Carlton and Devon. They now have a boat that is a little larger  named Born to Fish. We had 6 lines (two on wood outriggers) out total. Two lines with cigar fish bait and the other 4 artificial bait. As you can see the fish was bludgeoned before bringing on board.
[attachment=2997]  

Firemon, you are correct as the reefs tourist are taken to off the beach are not much to look at if compared to healthy reefs in Akumal, Roatan, Florida Keys, etc. I have heard the reefs are much better and healthier off the shore from Rhodes Hall but I have never been there. Point Village roped of and area several years ago that is making somewhat of a comeback. The little cove at the Royalton that borders with Point saw damage when Rutland Point was dug out and constructed for there version of Grand Lido. I cannot prove it but I think they dump pool water in there which has changed the habits of the aquatic live there (a smaller population than before)

RE: Treasure Beach - Negril75 - 12-16-2021

kylake,
What a majestic creature your Marlin once was. I realize in an instance like yours there isn't any consideration going to be given to catch and release as Carlton and Devon could never afford not to keep that fish. Amazing catch that you will never forget. I realize that Negril isn't know as the "Mecca" of Jamaican Deep Sea Fishing but that Marlin would have been a worthy catch in the Tournaments in Ochie and Port Antonio. I've seen them caught in Treasure Beach but never as big as yours was!! That's really a beauty!!
The reefs in Jamaica certainly seem stressed and strained although in TB there has been a conservation effort there for several years there to protect their fishery. As far as I know they have been quite successful!!

RE: Treasure Beach - Negril75 - 12-16-2021

firemon,
Forgive my potentially dumb question but doesn't Negril have a sewage treatment plant by now?? Or is all the sewage going directly into the sea?? Considering the considerable waste generated by all the hotels there now I can only hope that they have implemented functional treatment facilities!!

Quote:Negril75 wrote:The reefs in Jamaica certainly seem stressed and strained
There are many reasons but one big one is the taking of parrot fish. I see fishermen that use spear guns and other means bringing in really small parrot fish for consumption. Most times they have more parrot fish than anything else. Parrot fish keep the reefs clean of algae and create sand (which you probably know) so over fishing them is detrimental to both the reef and the beach.

RE: Treasure Beach - TAH - 12-17-2021

N75, there is a plant up the river a ways. But when it rains it gets flooded and overflows into the river. Some people (and websites) will say it's tannin... yeah. Okay. 

RE: Treasure Beach - Firemon - 12-17-2021

Unscheduled retaining pond releases in the middle of the night when things get backed up.

RE: Treasure Beach - oldtimer - 12-18-2021

Fireman is correct . Middle of the night letting it go . A very small amount might be something else but I always ask " where does all the poop go ? "