The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Remembering Rhonda - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Remembering Rhonda (/showthread.php?tid=103358)

Remembering Rhonda - CardBoardBox - 05-17-2023

This short post is partly in Memory of Rhonda of NJ who worked hard all her life and made frequent visits to the island when she could find the time.
She wanted to retire there but died before doing so, at 64. Follow your dream while you can is the message.

The stem of this is a post by a guy who was warned by friends in Chicago not to go into the hills, and within 15 minutes he was in the hills. The xchange rate at the time was 28 to 1.
To wit, I posted this reply:

I remember 8 to 1 exchange cause it was my first, and the next LASTING memory was 60 to 1 because it was stable for a long time. Other steps not clear beyond they always went up little by little. Humorous now how the do-not-go into the hills caused you to go into the hills. Now that you have matured, and might stress out if someone ignored your advice, I am glad you had a good time. Two expressions come to mind: 1. The young do not always do to what they are told, and 2. God protects fools and children. Of course, 2 other things are also true; 1. early Jamamica was different, and 2. Many good visits are because of the great citizens of the island.
###

Tangental, there are also FoxFire Cindy, Pirate, and MusicMon  who have left us too soon.

RE: Remembering Rhonda - Negril75 - 05-17-2023

CBB,
Although I didn't know any of your friends listed in the post ad Captain Dave to your list of gone too soon!! Cap'n D was full of memories and great stories told on several boards including the Yellowboard. RIP All

RE: Remembering Rhonda - oldtimer - 05-19-2023

There are LOTS !!! that aren't with us now . Tammy and I head stormed one time a couple of years ago and we made a list of about 15+ of foreign women we knew that DISAPPEARED or out right murdered !!!! Jamaica is a very jealous country . Health being right there to . That is why I sold my property in TB because of lack of health care close by . All very lovely people and trusting . The " it could happen anywhere BS " is just very old now .Working hard all the working years or younger with lots to give ripped away because of some punk ass person Don't trust any one !!!! I even saw one tourist pick some one else's drink off their table at a very popular bar ??? WHY ????

RE: Remembering Rhonda - CardBoardBox - 05-19-2023

If we could explain the why, could we solve it?

Personal gain with no accountability perhaps. Lack of God in our lives perhaps.

In the Mel Brooks movie, when Moses comes down from the mountain with the 20 Commandments which might have had:
Do onto others before they do onto you.
Thou shall not get caught.
(only came up with two here.)

If there was no God, Man would create one. We need an ultimate authority, ala "Wait till your father comes home, if you think you are in trouble now", says the mother to the child who caused a problem in school.
When was the concept of going to hell last thought about? When corruption and mismanagement reaches the highest level, we lose the role models we need.

Used to be  tourist areas were exempt from crime. We though the criminals knew it would be bad for the country and the tourist industry. It used to be that churches were respected by criminals and a person would be safe inside from even the worst of society.
Maybe I am thinking of Italian Mafia and a very religious society.
We have become oppertunists, grabbing someones drink off a bar. Follow rules? "Why should I?". There needs to be a reason why they should.
I still blame video games, blasting away to win the game, driving fast to escape the law.

Work hard? Why should I when I can hussle or collect welfare or use a gun.
I also blame cableTV for portraying that all "foreign" are rich.
"It is someone else's fault" and they expect someone else to fix it. We have government ill equiped to fix things but to get elected, they F-up things for votes.

And finally, just like seeing an accident, people say "That will never happen to me."

Real solution? Hand out guns to arriving tourists and collect them on the way out. I want to feel safe while on the island. That's the dream and why people want to retire in Jamaica. But yea, better health care is needed too.

RE: Remembering Rhonda - TAH - 05-19-2023

I'm not sure that your video game hypothesis holds any water, at all. I'm reasonably certain it doesn't. Por ejemplo; how does that apply in Jamaica? Video games are not a big "thing" there, yet they have more violence than most societies. Or you can look at several Central American countries, same thing. Uber violent, near zero video game culture. Inner cities in the US... same thing. People are too busy trying to hustle to survive, to play video games, yet violence is omnipresent. 

So yeah, I'd look in another direction, if I were you. 

Not religion either. Religion has been the single largest root cause of violence and war on this planet for hundreds, if not thousands of years. 

Humans can adapt to nearly any circumstance imaginable. This includes severe desensitization to violence. It becomes "normal", and people move on with their lives. To blame something as benign as video games is a little short sighted, I think. 

IMO, the root cause comes down to how our global societies today have striated into extremely different social classes. The rich can operate with impunity, while the rest struggle to maintain. It creates serious bitterness, jealousy, and greed on both ends of the spectrum. 

Also, on the whole, we have become far less violent over time in the past thousand years. Yet violence does remain a part of life. Video games are a very recent phenomenon, violence is not.

RE: Remembering Rhonda - CardBoardBox - 05-20-2023

I see the flaw in my logical association with "Problem? Solve it with a gun."

I will agree with the violence associated with religion, historically and even in current era.

My premise (?) of wanting religion is for a "higher authority" to judge one's own personal action.
I think of Druids praying to trees, and American original citizens, aka American Indians, believing in spirits and mother earth and maybe even a God. My ignorance or stupidity on the god part. Not sure, but I can't think of either group taking lives to appease a non-corporeal being.

How did it turn out with the lambs and goats on the alters? And the virgin into the volcano? Is Satanic anti-religion, or just another branch? Why are we bowing down and kissing the asses of politicans? cause they act like gods.