The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Very Long Trip Report *PIC* - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+---- Forum: Trip Report Archive (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Thread: Very Long Trip Report *PIC* (/showthread.php?tid=1804)

Very Long Trip Report *PIC* - shelly - 10-29-2010

<P>Landed and cleared the Montego Bay airport Wed. at 1:20 ran around in the rain laughing repeatedly with the airport workers about not caring it was raining I was on a Caribean island i was there for water, then waited on a bus in the pouring rain, left the airport at 2:50 headed on the 90 mile journey to Negril. Roads were flooded our bus was referred to as a "dry weather bus" by the driver as the water was pouring on us passengers through the air vents, windows and TV cubbies. Finally arrived at property at 6:45 after my supposed to be 1.5 hour trip was extended by the rain and extreme winds due to the impeding hurricane Paula.<P>Arrived at the RIU Palace Tropical Bay to be very surprised, the building is old looking multi floored with no elevators or modern features. I was even more joyed to find my room was on the 3rd floor, my oceanview room was really a pool view with some trees. No covered walks meant dinner, and lobby and bars were all via rainstorm walk away. I decided to make the most of it and went beach walking in my jeans and hooded sweater in the cold windy rain. Went to find the bar and food around 8 and wasn't delighted, cheese and crackers it was for dinner. I knew staying at the Palace we were aloud to use the cheaper resort next door Club and were supposed to be able to access it via the beach. I started that way and found a deserted mile stretch of beach unlighted met by woods at the water, a security guard laid sleeping by the water at resort edge. Despite how unwise I usually am, I decided to ask employee opinion on safety before setting off. I found a group of 3 employees resting from the rain and asked the safety question, one offered to walk me there and ofcourse my ever wise response was "as long as your not going to rape me" The employee did not find the joke funny and countered back that I had called him a rapist; little did I know at this point that I had met a new lifelong friend that will never leave my heart.<P>Walking we went in his neat and tidy uniform and fancy shoes, while me in my jeans and sweatshirt soaked from the rain, not far in we found that in many spots we had to walk in the water due to trees to the shore. By the time we arrived at Club RIU my pants were completely wet from the ocean up to the crotch my shirt was falling off and my hair was dripping. Up to the bar for a beer I went and believe it or not even in Jamaica I got weird looks and stares. Back down to the beach I went where my dedicated non rapist new friend was waiting to take me back to my resort. Speaking of that night and that guy I think I owe him a pair of dry shoes. Lost track of time on the beach and went back to my room around 11:30.<P>Thursday came and the weather was still nasty so no boats , diving, swimming, etc. to be done. I decided I wasn't going to let the rain spoil my vacation and I walked to the highway to grab a public taxi around 8am to town for shopping. I got dropped at the Sunshine Village mall and told my taxi i would call when ready to go back. Decided to do some wandering and walking in the rain, walked through downtown and found what looked like some rich culture in a gully craft market. Down the hill I went, what a new experience the market was with Rasta's galore, I learned so many new things. I was really soaked again and decided to seek refuge in a shop where a group of Rasta's was playing checkers with bottle caps. This turned out to be my afternoon of fun and cultural experience as I was invited to stay. I laughed , i joked, I danced, I drank, and even helped grind plantains for dumplings. Having no watch on hand I decided to head out of the market as the sun was setting and the area had no lighting. Back up to the highway I went and walking i continued. I arrived at the Times Square mall on the opposite side of town from my start. The mall was aggravating; rude workers, guests, and hustlers. I walked out front and called my driver. After about 20 minutes later around 7pm my driver arrived surprised I had walked that distance.<P>Back to the resort I went dinner of crackers and cheese again. I was all anxious for what i knew a Thursday night in Negril was about, ladies night at "The Jungle". Met a couple very young German nannies in line that were shaking in fear of being immersed in Jamaicans. The Jungle was an experience to be had, the sex, open prostitution, grinding on their sexual locals and constant smell of Ganja was of no fun for this old lady.Back to the resort at 3am after begging the girls to leave for hours 3am I left without them to a taxi on the street.<P>Friday was a day I had been waiting for; the sun finally cleared, the dive boats finally ran and I WAS SCHEDULED finally for what i went there for. A 2 pm departure was almost warded off by a morning drinking episode with the nannies and another new friend we had made a soldier on break from Iraq ( atleast that was the story). We all agreed to take a catamarran diving/ snorkeling, underwater cave diving and what was to b a cliff jumping experience at Rick's Cafe. Went back to my room to get changed and found it had been broken into and items were stolen. Diving was great but the water was really rough with 6 foot waves and at our first cave the Pirates cave no one else wanted to get off so as the crowd continued to whine I jumped off the side of the boat and started swimming towards the cave OMG i got there went body slamming against the cliff walls and rocks and thought I was going to pass out. The scuba team then brought in a few swimmers with life vests on a rope LOL. I wanted to grab their rope to get back but my pride prevented it. On the swim back I found myself backfloating out of exhaustion and felt a little breezy, when I looked down and found the top of my swimsuit ripped right open. Slight water freek out but thankfully I had my trusty soldier ( who I later found out was claiming to be my husband) on the boat who decided to beg around for a clean unused suit and threw it in for me to change in the water, keep in mind the crystal clear beautiful waters of Jamaica ughh. Due to the waters being so rough we headed the boat back and went to Margaritaville instead of Rick's where my ( husband ) kept trying to buy me food and drinks. French fries it was for dinner tonight. Back to the resorts we went as i got off at mine the fellow guests asked why I was leaving my husband on the boat, too funny. Some Tv watching, internet blogging and then off to the beach around 9 to night walk in the water. Again found myself chatting with a friend on the beach. Then made my way over by taxi around midnight to meet back up with my nannies at Club Riu. The disco was full of young kids trying to make new memories in Jamaica 17-18 year olds were not my idea of fun so around 2 was back to my resort for bed.<P>Saturday morning started about 7 to cloud cover a morning swim then came boredom so to town I went to visit my crazy Rasta's at the craft market, I actually got a seat today on the special porch and out came the bottle caps beer and Ganja; we laughed and played and danced and sung and drank, they smoked and I took pics of every crazy soul I had met there. Then about 4pm I decided to taxi out to Rick's cafe since afterall that was why I was in Negril, cliff diving at Rick's. It wasn't busy and i was the only solo women there so many of the divers quickly became my friends made several jumps, a dive that killed my back and a rope swing that met my body with the cliffside yet again. Soon the other tourists came and as I was going to get dressed the divers invited me over to their side of the Rick's cliff's where not only was I the only female but I was also the only white and non Ganja smoking person, this was fun for a short time until I fealt the mood shift and after claiming a bathroom was needed I quickly jumped in a taxi and off. Back to the resort at dark for dinner and friends, walked the beach and chatted with my Savvanah friend. Decided around 10pm a night swim was a good idea so myself and another friend headed in about 11:30pm, seemed like a good idea ahead of time, and it definetely was. Early to bed tonight at 2am as I was heading on a long day trip Sunday.<P>Sunday 7am came very early. Onto the bus I went for a day long journey to the Black River safari and YS Falls. Greeted by Marcita and Mr. Smith I asked for a drivers side seat so I could watch the ametuer Nascar driving that I have come to love of Jamaica. Roads were very flooded and ofcourse cloud cover and rain but again I came to Jamaica to get wet. Black River Safari proved to early for me after the night befores late swimming and so forth and the nice padded seat on the boat made for a perfect nap spot with waking for an occasional croc sighting. Lunch was provided here but KFC chicken is not something I would eat at home so rice and beans with water it was for lunch. Awesome staff and environment. Off to YS Falls we went for a day that turned out stellar. On arrival at YS it was again raining but that was ok I was there to get wet. Up the falls to this awesome rope swing that went out over the whole falls and then you free dropped down into the water below the falls while life guards took pictures for you with your camera. It was the best part of my entire trip I continued to go again and again, people began cheering and yelling as I climbed all the way up and jumped over and over about 15 times or so. Again my poor legs met a horrible fate as I dropped to late once and scraped the falls. Then for the 3 hour drive back to Negril in the pouring rain through the extremely flooded island we went. I again sat next to Mr. Smith who by this time was both high and drunk and provided for some excellent humor, chicken style driving, and conversation along the way, I guess the ride was too boring in back Marcita the tour guide even came up and sat laughing with us for hours on the way back. I was excited to get back today to tell my friend at the resort all about the things I had done and share my pictures which I did.Crackers, cheese and a spoon of rice for dinner. Night fall came and we escaped our beach to the vacant beach front next door to meet some new friends Prince and Mark and some other. This was my last night in Negril and so many goodbyes were said some harder than others, emails were exchanged and I settled in around 2am for the night soaking up all the things Negril had provided.<P>So here's where we end, i verified with the manager they still had not found the items stolen from my room and left the resort around 9am.<BR>

Re: Very Long Trip Report - jajewel - 10-29-2010

<P>Bway, with all the yummy food a Yaad, you sure didn't get much of it!!.....sounds like you had fun anyway though! Thanks for the report!

Re: Very Long Trip Report *PIC* - shelly - 10-29-2010

<P>Would like to post my pics for all to see but can't seem to figure out how to upload multiple photo's.